Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

City seal first win of the season

21 August 2012

The Bantams sealed their first points of the new campaign with a 1-0 victory over new boys Fleetwood Town at The Coral Windows Stadium

The opening stages of the game, saw little action in the way of chances, and it was quite a cagey affair, Jon Parkin was using his strength to frustrate the City back line, and City were trying to threaten going forward through the likes of Kyel Reid and Zavon Hines.

Micky Mellon's men should've taken the lead in the 26th minute when Parkin neatly out David Ball through on goal, with just Duke to beat he crashed a shot off the underside of the crossbar.

City almost grabbed an opening just before half time when James Hanson met Gary Jones' cross with a glancing header, but he couldn't quite get enough contact on the ball to direct it towards goal.

Early in the second period home debutant Zavon Hines almost grabbed a goal, when his fierce deflected shot from just inside the area cannoned back off the crossbar. The Bantams push once more in search of the opener, and James Hanson is the next to come ever so close to it. A deep free kick from Gary Jones is headed downwards by Hanson, but the effort only manages to hit the side netting.

Moments later James Hanson does put City ahead with his first league goal of the season; again Gary Jones involved. Jones' corner towards the back post was met by Hanson, unmarked, to power a header home in front of The Kop.

Nahki Wells has half a chance to put the game to bed, after a long run from Kyel Reid. Reid's cut back after his run is met by Wells first time, but the contact on the ball isn't sufficient enough to fully test visiting keeper Scott Davies.

In the 69th minute Fleetwood hit the woodwork once more, this time Andrew Mangan the man being thwarted after he met Dean Howell's cross with a firm header. Not long after, substitute Mangan has another decent chance to put his side level; he received a floated through ball, before finding half a yard of space on the area, his shot is tame though and easily dealt with by Matt Duke.

Kyel Reid almost puts an end to the contest after great work down the left wing, he receives a Gary Jones through ball before getting the better of Fleetwood skipper Steve McNulty,he then lashes a shot goal bound which is beaten away by Davies, Reid himself blazes the rebound well over on his weaker foot.

In the last minute of the 90, Fleetwood have a decent chance of testing Matt Duke; Andrew Davies half clears a cross and the loose ball is floated across goal by former Northern Ireland international Damien Johnson, but it thankfully goes behind for a goal kick, with Jon Parkin arriving at the back post.

Advertisement block