Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bradford City 4 Carlisle United 0

10 August 2013

Bradford City 4 Carlisle United 0

The Bantams recorded their first win of the season in emphatic fashion as they completely blew away their opponents Carlisle United in effectively less than ten first half minutes. 

Mark Yeates' stunning long range strike began the rout before Nahki Wells scores from a tight angle to double the advantage. James Hanson's calm finish made it three before Gary Jones added a fourth in the second half as Phil Parkinson's men cruised to three points.


Nahki Wells was looking full of energy and desire early on and after latching onto James Hanson's knock down he twisted and turned before producing a tame shot that was dealt with relatively comfortably by United stopper Mark Gillespie.


Approaching twenty minutes in the game, City took the lead. Mark Yeates was making his full home debut in a claret & amber shirt and he opened the scoring with an absolute belting strike when he cut inside from the left ahead of Brad Potts before unleashing a ferocious shot that nestled into the top corner leaving Gillespie helpless this time around.


The hosts didn't take their foot off the gas and doubled their advantage four minutes later. Paul Thirlwell attempted to guide a loose ball back to his keeper with a header but Wells nipped in to claim the ball before curling the ball into the bottom corner from an extremely acute angle.


Just before the half hour City were three goals to the good. Rory McArdle's headed clearance was followed by an unfortunate slip by Livesey to allow Hanson a gap to race into before he coolly slotted a right footed shot beyond Gillespie and into the bottom corner.


The Bantams were utterly relentless on the opening half and should've gone four goals ahead just before the half time interval. Yeates produced a precise through ball to Garry Thompson in the area but his powerful shot was beaten away by the visitors' keeper when he should've really added his name to the scoresheet.


The hosts were going from strength to strength and were still looking for more goals; Mark Yeates was enjoying an impressive afternoon and almost scored a second goal when after producing some sublime skill to weave in and out of a couple of defenders in the area he prodded a shot towards goal which ultimately failed to force Gillespie into drastic action.


The fourth goal did come though and it was the skipper Gary Jones who got it. Wells robbed Feely of possession before racing away down the right hand side, he got into the area and pulled the ball back to Jones who was left with an easy finish in front of The Kop.


James Berrett's in swinging free kick delivery caused a moment of chaos in City's goalmouth as Andrew Davies, Mark Beck and Kevin Feely all tried to get a head on the ball which eventually dropped to safety on the roof of the net.


There were no more goals to come however and The Bantams recorded three points in impressive style to leave their opponents still without a point in League 1 this season and themselves with 4 out of a possible 6.

Advertisement block