Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

City collect Bohs friendly win

20 July 2013

Saturday 20 July 2013
Bohemians 1 (Scott 11)
Bradford City 4 (Thompson 21, Nelson 45+1, Swain 48, Wells 78)
Kick Off: 1.00pm
at Dalymount Park

City finished their spell in Ireland with a convincing friendly victory over Airtricity Premier Division side Bohemians this Saturday.

Following on from their win over Athlone Town on Tuesday, Phil Parkinson's men made it two wins out of two during their week-long stay in Ireland with a comfortable victory thanks to goals from Garry Thompson, Michael Nelson, Louie Swain and Nahki Wells.

On top of another friendly victory for Parkinson's side, the Bantams boss will have been boosted by the first appearance of pre-season for Andrew Davies, who played the first half of the match at Dalymount Park.

Davies was one of a number of players who came into City's starting eleven from Tuesday's Athlone match.

As promised by Parkinson pre-match, the vast majority of his squad who began Tuesday night from the bench were selected to start against Bohs.

With Jon McLaughlin in net, City's back four consisted of apprentice Niall Heaton at right back, Davies and Nelson in central defence and Carl McHugh at left back.

Thompson and Kyel Reid were picked for the right and left flank respectively, while Jason Kennedy and another apprentice, Jack Stockdill, were picked in the centre of midfield.

Stockdill was due to start at right back but he was moved into midfield shortly before kick off due to the late withdrawal of Ricky Ravenhill.

First year pro Swain and Alan Connell were partnered together in attack.

Trialist Raffaele De Vita and James Meredith didn't feature at all in City's plans at Bohemians, however, after picking up minor knocks in training during the week.

Bohemians took the lead of the friendly in the eleventh minute in slightly controversial circumstances when home defender Michael Scott's header was adjudged to have crossed the line following a Bohs corner.

The far post set-piece delivery was headed back across goal into Scott's path as the defender in turn headed it towards McLaughlin's net. Jason Kennedy appeared in the perfect position to clear off his line but, to the midfielder's surprise, the linesman by the nearside decided to flag for a goal.

City were back on terms ten minutes later, however, and it was Kennedy who played his part in bringing the scores level once again. The midfielder's near post corner was met by Thompson who directed a thumping header past home 'keeper Greg Murray.

City threatened again a few minutes later from another Kennedy set-piece but this time Davies could only glance a header wide of the far post following his team-mate's wide free-kick.

With the game being played out in sweltering conditions, referee Mr Adriano Reale sensibly allowed both teams to enjoy a brief drinks break around the half-hour mark.

The Bantams were next to threaten again after the minor stoppage when a neat flick from Connell found Reid in space behind the Bohs' defence.

Reid sped to the edge of the area looking to threaten Murray's goal but with the ball bouncing around at his feet on the bobbly surface and Stephen Doran breathing down his neck, the winger could only tamely fire a low drive into the 'keeper's arms.

Swain went closer for City three minutes before the interval when he latched onto a headed flick forward by Davies before looping in a half-volley from around twenty yards out that rattled the crossbar.

With City seemingly improving further and further as the half progressed, Parkinson's men took the lead of the friendly for the first time on the very stroke of half-time when Nelson connected with a far post Kennedy corner to send a downward header past Murray and into the bottom corner.

The start of the second half saw McHugh move to centre half to replace the substituted Davies at the heart of City's defence. With Heaton moving to left back, Davies' place in the team was taken by a young Irish trialist. The youngster, who had been training with City at their Irish base on Friday, came into the defence at right back.

A teasing cross from Thompson barely two minutes after the restart gave Swain an opportunity to double City's lead but the young striker's powerful header for goal was repelled by a smart save from substitute 'keeper Jack Menton.

Swain wasn't denied for long though when he was played into space inside Bohemians' area by a clever ball over the top from strike-partner Connell.

With the ball at his feet, Swain got the better of right back Michael Barker before slotting into the far bottom corner with a low angled drive.

Fresh from grabbing City's third, Swain then threatened again when he sent a downward header narrowly wide of Menton's near post following another testing Thompson cross.

Connell was next to go close for the Bantams just a few minutes later when he squeezed in between Barker and Lorcan Shannon to latch onto a through ball from Stockdill before lofting an attempted lob a yard or so over the bar.

For the first time in the second half, Bohemians enjoy a decent scoring opportunity via a Conor Murphy free-kick but the attacker's set-piece strike for goal from just outside the box whistled just past McLaughlin's goal.

Just past the hour mark, as planned, Parkinson made as many as seven substitutions, with Nathan Doyle, Gary Jones, Wells, Rory McArdle, James Hanson, Mark Yeates and Stephen Darby all coming on.

As a result, Reid, Kennedy, Thompson, Swain, Connell, McHugh and Nelson all came off. 

With Darby moving to right back and Jones and Doyle slotting into their usual central midfield roles, City's Irish trialist shuffled across to partner McArdle in the centre of the defence and Stockdill changed to the right flank.

Another drinks break was the order of the day fifteen minutes from the end to allow both sides to take on some more liquids as the sun continued to beat down.

When play resumed again, City picked up their fourth of the afternoon twelve minutes from the end as Wells rifled a low drive from just inside the area past Menton's despairing dive and into the bottom corner.

The Bantams had a number of further chances to net before the full time whistle, with Doyle and Jones going close with strikes from just outside the area, Wells being denied from close range by Menton at his near post after being picked out by Yeates, and McArdle glancing a header wide of the far post from a corner.

Wells then fired a fierce rising drive from an angle inside the area a few yards over the bar a minute before the end, but City were content to settle for their four goals and another successful workout in pre-season.

Bradford City team

1. Jon McLaughlin
6. Niall Heaton
5. Andrew Davies
22. Michael Nelson
16. Carl McHugh
11. Garry Thompson
10. Jack Stockdill
8. Jason Kennedy
7. Kyel Reid
14. Louie Swain
17. Alan Connell

12. Gary Woods
2. Stephen Darby for 16 (61)
9. James Hanson for 17 (61)
18. Gary Jones for 8 (61)
19. Nathan Doyle for 11 (61)
20. Mark Yeates for 7 (61)
21. Nahki Wells for 14 (61)
23. Rory McArdle for 22 (61)
15. A Trialist for Davies (46)

Advertisement block