Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

York City 0 Bradford City 2

2 March 2013

York City 0 Bradford City 2

The Bantams got back to winning ways in the league with an excellent away victory over strugglers York City.

Late goals from James Hanson and Garry Thompson made sure that the 2,000 away supporters would be making the short journey back to West Yorkshire in good spirits following City's first trip to Bootham Crescent for 17 years.

The game didn't take long for chances to flow and James Hanson was a few inches away from putting The Bantams ahead early on. Kyel Reid's dangerous low centre from the left hand side narrowly evaded the outstretched leg of Hanson and went behind for a goal kick.

Nahki Wells almost scored one of the scruffiest goals so far this season in somewhat accidental fashion; Stephen Darby's long throw in was knocked down by Hanson and the ball hit Wells and bounced narrowly wide with the York defence stood static.

York goalscorer in the reverse fixture Ashley Chambers then took it upon himself to force Jon McLaughlin into a save; he cut inside from the left and escaped the attention of a couple of black & gold shirts before hitting a low shot towards goal that was held comfortably enough by McLaughlin.

An uncharacteristic stray pass from Stephen Darby allowed Jason Walker to release Matty Blair but Blair's touch was heavy and the ball ran all the way through to McLaughlin when he had threatened to race through on goal beyond City's back line.

Jason Walker was looking lively, and a key attacking threat for the hosts and after he turned away neatly from Andrew Davies he continued to round Jon McLaughlin but was forced wide and his eventual shot that came in was cleared off the line by Carl McHugh.

York came close to going ahead shortly before the half time break; Alex Rodman's dangerous cross flashed across the area and was collected by Ashley Chambers whose cross fell kindly to Blair but his goal bound shot was foiled by a heroic block from Andrew Davies.

The Bantams started the second half brightly with Kyel Reid receiving a short freekick to beat a couple of men and fire a low shot narrowly wide, and then Will Atkinson tamely firing wide from 18 yards after a Gary Jones corner was cleared into his path.

The hosts wasted a glorious chance to go ahead shortly after when Jason Walker blazed over the bar from inside the area; Matt Blair's low cross was helped on by Ashley Chambers and the ball came out to Walker who failed to hit the target from 15 yards out.

It was Matt Blair who was next to come close to scoring; he received Lanre Oyebanjo's throw in before hitting a vicious half volley towards goal that was palmed wide by Jon McLaughlin when the ball had looked to be nestling into the corner.

This was perhaps a wake up call that forced The Bantams into stepping their game up another gear; Kyel Reid's stinging drive from distance forced Michael Ingham into a smart save and from Gary Jones' resulting corner Andrew Davies could only direct his header straight at Ingham when he should've really scored.

City got the goal they so craved shortly after; good work down the right hand side to retain possession eventually allowed Stephen Darby to deliver an excellent first time cross into the area. The cross was met by a powerful downward header from James Hanson, and Michael Ingham was unable to prevent the ball from squirming under his body and over the line.

Alex Rodman responded quickly by leading a counter attack, he beat Zavon Hines with a nice piece of skill before cutting inside and wastefully firing his shot harmlessly over the bar.

The points were made safe 4 minutes from time when Garry Thompson doubled The Bantams' lead; a hopeful ball over the top by Ricky Ravenhill was mis-controlled by Jack O'Connell and Thompson pounced on the error to race through on goal and slot the ball beyond Ingham from close range.

York substitute Michael Rankine almost grabbed a spectacular consolation goal in the last minute of additional time when he burst into space, but his fierce, dipping shot from 25 yards was fisted over the bar by a determined Jon McLaughlin.

Advertisement block