Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bradford City 3 Coventry City 3

17 November 2013

Bradford City 3 Coventry City 3

Nahki Wells was the star of the show as he grabbed his first ever home hat-trick in a Bradford shirt to earn City a share of the spoils after a disastrous opening 10 minutes or so. Andrew Webster and Leon Clarke fired Coventry into an early two goal lead before two goals from Wells levelled the scores. Callum Wilson put his side back ahead in stunning fashion before the break and the score remained at 2-3 until Nahki Wells’ last gasp leveller from the penalty spot deep into injury time.

City got off to the worst possible start in front of the Sky cameras when following a defensive mix-up attempting to deal with Carl Baker’s free kick the ball dropped kindly to Andrew Webster who slammed the ball home to give the visitors a 2nd minute lead.

Thing got worse 5 minutes later when the pace of Callum Wilson proved too much for Rory McArdle who was robbed of possession; Wilson saw his shot blocked well by Jon McLaughlin but the ball fell  to Leon Clarke who tucked the ball away emphatically into a barely guarded goal.

The Bantams needed a response and they almost got one immediately; Nahki Wells’ angled pass dropped to Kyel Reid but he could only blaze a volley over the bar when the chance had looked promising.

On the 17th minute City did grab a goal back! James Hanson beat Sky Blues’ ‘keeper Joe Murphy to leave the goal exposed, Jordan Clarke made a hash of his attempted clearance with an air kick and Wells pounced to finish well from a tight angle.

Shortly after the dangerous Coventry attackers produced a flurry of chances; Baker saw a firm low drive tipped wide by McLaughlin before John Fleck saw two volleys blocked before Jordan Clarke hit a shot narrowly wide of the target.

It wasn’t long though before City were level; Hanson flicked on James Meredith’s free kick and Wells prodded the ball past Murphy into the back of the net the complete the first half comeback.

City were very much on top at this stage and went close to going ahead through Gary Jones  and Wells who clipped the wall with a 20 yard free kick that went narrowly wide but it was the visitor who grabbed a 3rd to go into the half time break with a one goal advantage. Wilson was found out wide and he sauntered in field before drilling an unstoppable shot past McLaughlin at his near post.

Coventry started the second half on the front foot and almost doubled their lead through Franck Moussa who saw a fizzing low shot tipped wide by McLaughlin. Wells tried his luck again with another free kick, this time he beat the wall but the ball clipped the bar as Murphy stood, rooted to the spot.

At this stage the game was anybody’s and the next goal would be vital to deciding the outcome of the match. Mark Yeates was introduced as a substitute and almost got an assist for Hanson but the latter could only head over the bar from close range.

The visitors always looked a threat but shooting towards The Kop, and needing a goal desperately it was City who perhaps looked the most likely to score next. Wells lead the bombardment of Coventry’s back line as they stood firm. Steven Pressley’s side had done all they could until a lapse in concentration in the last minute of injury time offered City a lifeline. Jumping for the ball with Hanson, Jordan Clarke handled in the area and Kevin Friend pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped Nahki Wells to seal his hat-trick and a point for his side, securing the fight back!


Advertisement block