Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 September 2014

The Bantams produced a hard-working performance to earn a point at Colchester United via a goal-less draw and retain their place in the play-off places in League One.

Colchester probably had the better of the chances to win the game, going close in the first half through George Moncur and then seeing an effort from Freddie Sears cleared brilliantly off the line by Stephen Darby.

City started the game brightly at a high tempo early on and midweek goal scorer Aaron Mclean created the first half chance of the game as he saw a shot held at the second attempt by U’s ‘keeper Sam Walker.

After an opening spell where City looked in control of the game, the visitors began to grown into the game themselves and it took a great save from Jordan Pickford to keep out George Moncur’s 20 yard snapshot. A dangerous situation was half cleared as far as the West Ham loanee who controlled the ball well before forcing the best out of Pickford.

Pickford was brought into action again shortly after, this time to deny Sears. After getting the better of Rory McArdle and keeping the ball in play, he tried a shot from a tight angle but the Sunderland loanee was equal to it.

Sears was proving to be, probably as expected, the liveliest of the Colchester players and he was at the heart of the action once again as he tried another shot on goal, this time his effort rattled the side netting.

City always looked in the game but the hosts seemed to be the most likely to score at this stage and early in the second as they went close once again through Sears and Moncur.

On the hour, Billy Knott’s corner was met by Aaron Mclean but, on the stretch, the striker could only send a downward header at Sam Walker. It was a good chance as he’d evaded his marker with ease amongst the melee of players inside the area.

A couple of minutes later, Darby produced some heroics to keep the scores level. Sears latched onto a pass to get in behind and he prodded the ball past the on-rushing Pickford but a last ditch sliding clearance prevented the ball from rolling across the goal line.

Gary Liddle was booked in the first half for a challenge on Craig Eastmond and running the risk of a second booking, he made an expert sliding challenge to deny Sanchez Watt as he looked to latch onto Moncur’s forward pass and try his luck from close range.

Bantams boss Phil Parkinson was positive in his approach in the second half, bringing on Filipe Morais, Mason Bennett and Oliver McBurnie from the substitutes bench as he sensed a chance to score a late winner.

Sears went close again late on and seconds later, so did McBurnie. Latching onto Bennett’s flick on he gathered the ball before hitting a shot towards goal from an angle, unfortunately though his effort didn’t quite have the accuracy to find the far corner and instead bounced into Walker's clutches.

The last of the chances fell to Eastmond in the second of the two additional minutes. A Drey Wright corner fell into path on the edge of the area but he got his attempt wrong as he fired a rising shot well over the bar to confirm that both sides would collect a point apiece.

Advertisement block