Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


31 January 2015

Club News


31 January 2015

Bantams boss Phil Parkinson was encouraged to see City fight back to earn a share of the spoils from their home match with Colchester United this Saturday.

Colchester took an early lead through striker Chris Porter during a positive opening to the game for the visitors but Parkinson's men hit back in the second period to equalise with Filipe Morais' fifth of the season thirteen minutes from the end.

The City chief admitted that his side were off the pace in the opening quarter of the game, perhaps understandably given the drama and excitement of the last week, but he was also pleased with the Bantams' response thereafter.

Parkinson said: "I felt they started the game the better team. We were disappointing at the start of the match.

"Our two centre backs probably had their poorest opening period to a game that I've seen in a long time.

"We made their attackers to look good players but in the second half we have dominated them and played immensely better.

"We didn't play with enough effort in our midfield to begin with but that all changed in the second period. We dominated play, got the goal back, and our performance in that half probably warranted all three points.

"Perhaps there was some inevitably about the way we played at the start of the match following the week we've just had with the Chelsea game etc. We'd done everything we could to steer away from that though.

"Credit to the lads, they fought back well in the second half, but we just started too loose in terms of the jobs we had to do on the pitch.

"We were second best at the start of the first half but we managed to rectify that at half time and we were much better in the second half."

This Saturday's encounter was played out on a difficult and slippery Coral Windows Stadium pitch after wintry weather during the week.

Speaking after the match, Parkinson revealed how close the Colchester fixture actually came to being called off due to the muddy conditions.

Parkinson said: "I got in at 12:30pm today and the referee was going to call the game off.

"I talked him around it but it might have been different if Colchester's boss (Tony Humes) had of been in the ground at the time.

"If he'd been around, the game probably wouldn't have gone ahead.

"When Tony got in at 1:30pm and looked at the pitch, he said 'look Phil, that's dangerous out there'.

"He was probably right but we wanted the game on.

"We had a big crowd coming in for the game and we already have a backlog of matches to play in the next month or so."

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact