Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 August 2016

Club News


13 August 2016

Jordy Hiwula’s first half header proved to be enough for the Bantams to secure their first victory of the season, a deserved success at Peterborough United. Stuart McCall’s men looked controlled throughout and could have added to their tally, particularly through the excellent Josh Cullen, who saw a shot go just wide of the target early in the second half. Peterborough pushed late on for an equaliser but it didn’t materialise thanks to some resolute Bradford defending.


With the first real chance of the game, City took the lead. After dispossessing Peterborough left back Jerome Binnon-Williams just inside his own half, Tony McMahon advanced forward and whipped in a pin-point cross to the middle where an unmarked Hiwula was on hand to loop a header past Ben Alnwick for his first goal in claret and amber.


Paul Taylor looked lively for the home side paired up front with Tom Nichols, and Taylor’s first sight of goal came shortly after the opening goal, but his attempt from 20 yards out went inches over the bar.


The Peterborough front pair combined well once again with Nichols holding off Vincelot to send Taylor away running towards goal at an angle, but his eventual effort, although on target, didn’t have the required power or accuracy to beat Colin Doyle and he held the ball comfortably.


Although it was City controlling the game on the whole, Peterborough had another chance to get on the score-sheet before the half was out, and it came through captain Chris Forrester. 

Binnom-Williams ran down the left flank and cut the ball back to Forrester but he saw a firm drive gobbled up by Doyle, who went on record his third successive clean sheet.


City started the second half on the front foot and Marshall went close after getting the better of Hayden White before lashing a shot into the side netting. 

Cullen, who was outstanding on his second Bradford debut, side footed one inches wide of the post shortly afterwards after latching onto McMahon’s pull back following great work from the full back down the right hand side.


The hosts were growing slightly desperate in their approach play and urged to shoot by the home crowd, Forrester saw a rising shot from distance go comfortably over Doyle’s bar.


Marcus Maddison is one of the key attacking outlets for Grant McCann’s side and his delivery into the box from a free-kick midway after the restart was a dangerous one which was glanced narrowly over the bar by the head of Michael Bostwick.


Later in the half Cullen produced an effective piece of skill in the middle of the park to turn away from his man; it was a Zidane-esque spin which was even applauded by the home crowd; it summed up a real eye catching display in central midfield alongside first year professional Daniel Devine, who continued to not look out of place in the senior side.

With Peterborough pushing more men forward as time advanced, Posh substitute Shaquile Coulthirst sent Maddison racing clear down the left hand side and his low resulting low drive had to be pushed around the post by Doyle.



James Hanson twice came close to doubling City’s lead and surely settling the game just before the end of the ninety minutes with shots narrowly over the bar from inside the box. In injury time, Peterborough had one final chance but Jermaine Anderso's goal-bound effort from close range was blocked heroically by Romain Vincelot after Nichols had caused problems with a low cross into the box.


City might have a number of defenders currently sidelined but McCall’s men conjured up some outstanding defending to record a third successive clean sheet and in turn hand Peterborough their first defeat of the season. A real platform for the Bantams going into Tuesday night’s clash with Karl Robinson’s Milton Keynes Dons.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact