Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 July 2016

Club News


23 July 2016

The Bantams fell to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Premier League opponents Burnley in the club's first pre-season friendly of the summer at the newly-named Northern Commercials Stadium.

Two goals from Burnley's star striker Andre Gray and a header from defender Ben Mee put the visitors in control but Filipe Morais pulled one back for City just before the break.

Burnley substitute Michael Kightly netted a fourth for the Premiership side late on the second period to finish the scoring on a warm July afternoon.

Although the eventual scoreline was comfortable for Burnley, City did look positive going forward, especially in the first period.

James Hanson and James Meredith missed out once again due to minor injuries, meaning Billy Clarke and Morais were partnered together in attack and young midfielder Daniel Devine remained at left back.

With new signing Romain Vincelot watching from the stands, McCall's men actually more than held their own against their top-flight opponents in the opening exchanges.

The first real sight of goal for City came in the eleventh minute when a forceful run from Filipe Morais took the Portuguese attacker to the edge of the area but his low drive went wide of Tom Heaton's far post.

Burnley took the lead just four minutes later, however, Stephen Ward released George Boyd into space down the visitors' left and his cross was headed in from close range by Gray.

With Burnley showing a real clinical edge, Gray doubled the Clarets' lead shortly afterwards when he latched onto Dean Marney's well-placed forward pass from deep before lobbing the ball over a stranded Colin Doyle.

Mee then registered a third goal for Burnley in quick succession, latching onto David Jones flighted corner delivery to send a looping header into the corner. 

Gray tried to seek out a first hat-trick just before the half hour mark but his progress was halted by Nathan Clarke inside the box after the striker had tried to move clear on goal.

At the other end, McCall's men came close to pulling one back within 30 seconds or so when Morais' delivery from a corner fell into the path of Billy Clarke and the Irishman crashed an angled drive against Heaton's near post.

City threatened again shortly afterwards, with Morais once again involved. The Portuguese attacker sent over a teasing cross, Mark Marshall headed the ball down into the mix, before Paul Anderson hooked the ball onto the roof of Heaton's net with an 

Morais was on the end of City's next attack a few minutes later when Billy Clarke played him in with a sight of goal from deep. As he made his way into the box, Morais looked to pull the trigger but a recovering Ward managed to put the ball behind for a corner with a well-timed sliding tackle.

Despite City's decent play going forward, Burnley were still showing their Premiership quality in attacking areas as the first half drew to a close.

After moving his way deep into City's area, Scott Arfield saw his close range shot repelled by Doyle before Tony McMahon blocked Boyd's follow up effort.

Gray fired straight at Doyle with a low drive from the edge of the area, while Morais headed over the Bantams from Billy Clarke's clipped ball across the box during City's next venture forward.

There was still time in the opening period for City to register on the score-sheet when Morais pounced to fire in from inside the box. Marshall's shot from the edge of the area fell into Billy Clarke's path, the striker's effort was blocked by Heaton but Morais crashed home the rebound.

Into the second period, Gray teed up Jones for a drive narrowly over the bar from the midfielder just outside the area. 

The striker nearly managed to engineer a sight on goal himself shortly afterwards but a combination of Devine and Nathaniel Knight-Percival were able to deny him a shot on Doyle's goal.

Jordy Hiwula and City's midfield trialist were introduced in 61st minute for Morais and Anderson respectively.

Following his effort earlier in the half, Jones tried his luck from slightly further out but Doyle judged it well and was able to watch it go narrowly over his bar.

Burnley substitute Rowen Hennings - one of twelve changes made by Sean Dyche's side throughout the game - tried to scramble the ball from close range later in the half when Boyd's cross fell into his path but McMahon managed see out the attack.

Sixteen minutes from the end, young forward Reece Webb-Foster replaced Billy Clarke up front for City.

Burnley netted a fourth for the match in the 79th minute when Kightly converted from close range after McMahon could only slice his attempted clearance following Dan Agyei's ball across the six yard box.

Josh Ginnelly had the chance to grab a fifth for the visitors late on after finding himself through on goal but his side-footed effort was pushed away by Doyle.

Bradford City starting line up:
1. Colin Doyle, 2. Tony McMahon (c), 3. Daniel Devine, 4. Nicky Law, 5. Nathan Clarke, 6. Nathaniel Knight-Percival, 7. Mark Marshall, 8. Timothee Dieng, 11. Paul Anderson, 14. Billy Clarke, 15. Filipe Morais

12. Rouwen Sattelmaier, 16. Kwame Boateng, 17. A TRIALIST, 18. Jordy Hiwula, 19. Reece Webb-Foster, 20. Niah Payne

TRIALIST for Anderson (61), Hiwula for Morais (61), Webb-Foster for B Clarke (74)

City goals:
Morais (44)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact