Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 March 2016

Club News


30 March 2016

Bantams winger Filipe Morais made his long-awaited return to action this Wednesday as City's reserves secured a comfortable victory away at Wrexham in the Final Third Development League.

Morais, who was an unused substitute at Crewe Alexandra on Easter Monday, was given just under an hour at Wrexham's Colliers Park training ground for his first involvement in a City match of any kind since pre-season last summer.

The Portguese winger looked a willing runner throughout his spell on the pitch and keen to impress, even trying his famous flik-flak move at one stage!

First half goals from Dylan Mottley-Henry and Reece Webb-Foster helped to claim a 2-0 victory for the Bantams - their sixth straight league victory at reserve level.

Right from the beginning of the game, it was clear Webb-Foster's tenaciousness and pace would be a threat in behind for City.

The young striker ran through Wrexham's defence early on as he tried to chase down a forward pass, forcing home shot-stopper Reece Airey to sprint out from his area to make a hurried clearance.

Webb-Foster then snuck behind Wrexham's defensive line once again minutes later when he latched onto a through-ball from Xander McBurnie but his strike from inside the box was blocked by Airey.

City did make the break through in the tenth minute, however, when Mottley-Henry made a run in-field to reach Sumaili Cissa's pass and the winger fired past Airey from inside the box with a fine first time finish.

Later in the half, Airey once again had to travel outside his area to deny Webb-Foster, this time blocking with his chest after the striker had burst forward and looked to lob the ball over the shot-stopper.

Although City were looking threatening going forward at this stage, they still had to be grateful to Daniel Devine midway through the half when the apprentice made a fine goal-line clearance to keep the Bantams in front.

From a long Wrexham throw-in into the box, the ball eventually bounced into the path of Rakim Newton. The midfielder headed the ball past City 'keeper Chandler Hallwood but Devine was alert enough to spin around and hook the effort off the line with his right boot.

Moving on from that close shave, City nearly doubled their lead in slightly fortunate circumstances. With Webb-Foster proving a thorn in Wrexham's side once again, home defender Aaron Simpson was forced to desperately stick out a foot on the stretch to stop the striker being put through on goal by Cissa.

As the attempted pass bounced up off Simpson's out-stretched foot, the ball looped up towards Wrexham's goal and a back-tracking Airey had to scramble back to cling on and prevent the ball from dropping in under his crossbar.

Just three minutes later, however, Webb-Foster grabbed the goal his hard work had deserved to increase the Bantams' advantage in the game. From Morais' teasing wide free-kick delivery into the box, Webb-Foster was able to steal in by the far post and convert from close range.

Incredibly, Webb-Foster nearly had another goal barely seconds later when he stole the ball off Simpson shortly after the restart and fired low past Airey from just inside the box, only to see the effort come back off the inside of the post.

The second period saw less in the way of meaningful goal-mouth action but City still looked comfortable throughout the half.

One surging run from distance by Leroy Jennings looked to possible engineer something for the hosts but the midfielder was halted by a fine tackle from around the edge of the box by James King.

The second half also saw the introduction of second year scholar Jack Waters for the first time in the reserves this season following, like Morais, a serious knee injury for the apprentice defender last summer.

1. Chandler Hallwood
2. Daniel Devine
3. Luca Mellor
4. Sam Wright
5. Kesi Omolokun
6. James King
7. Filipe Morais
8. Xander McBurnie
10. Sumaili Cissa
11. Dylan Mottley-Henry
19. Reece Webb-Foster

City substitutes:
14. Jack Waters
15. Eliis Hudson
16. Tom Windle
17. Niah Payne

City goalscorers:
Mottley-Henry (10), Webb-Foster (33)

City substitutions:
Hudson for Morais (56), Waters for Mellor (67), Payne for Mottley-Henry (78), Windle for Devine (83)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact