Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 April 2017

Club News


4 April 2017

City's reserves eased to a comfortable 3-0 victory over Wrexham in their final Central League fixture of the season this Tuesday afternoon.

At a sunny Apperley Bridge, trialist Callum Gunner gave the Bantams the perfect start by netting in just the second minute.

The impressive Daniel Pybus, who once again featured in an attacking midfield role for the reserves, then added to City's advantage with a penalty shortly before the interval and a further effort fifteen minutes from the end.

Following previous victories over Morecambe and Burton Albion, the win was City's third successive home success in as many weeks, as the Bantams' second string ended their campaign on a high note.

Along with Pybus, fellow professionals Daniel Devine, James King and Jacob Hanson, plus loanee defender Kevin Toner, also featured for City in the reserve fixture.

As mentioned, Gunner put the Bantams in the driving seat early on in the match following a forceful run into the box from the midfielder.

After picking up the ball just outside the centre circle, Gunner drove past three Wrexham defenders and into the box before poking home past experienced shot-stopper Shwan Jalal.

With City clearly boosted by the breakthrough, Pybus then tested Jalal with a strike from inside the box that the Wrexham 'keeper was able to push away.

The visitors' first real sight of goal came from a Leo Smith free-kick into the box that Douglas Tharme headed over by the far post.

City's next opening actually came from a similar situation just minutes later, King heading over following Pybus' hanging free-kick delivery.

As the Bantams looked for more goals, Devine curled an effort from just inside the box at Jalal.

He was involved again three minutes before the break when he earned City a spot-kick, the midfielder tripped from behind by Tharme just inside the box.

Pybus took responsibility for the penalty and coolly sent Jalal the wrong way to double the Bantams' advantage.

Gunner tried to start the second half as he had the first half but two early strikes following the restart were both held by Jalal.

Devine also looked to get among the goals after the break but he had two efforts go over - one a shot following a drive into box and the other coming via his head from a corner.

At the other end, Wrexham's best opening in the early stages of the second period came when Iffy Allen played George Harry into shooting space but his effort from the edge of the box was straight at George Sykes-Kenworthy.

Just minutes later, Pybus teed up Reece Powell with a well-timed pass but the young striker could only fire narrowly wide of the Jalal's far post with a low angled drive.

A forceful run from Wrexham skipper Smith midway through the half eventually saw Niall Freeman in possession in a decent position inside the box. 

The attacker perhaps had more time than he thought, however, leading him to rush his shot and fire harmlessly wide of Sykes-Kenworthy's near post.

From that point on, it was City who ensured they ended the game in virtually complete control of proceedings.

Casey Taglione saw a goal ruled out for offside after he had headed in from close range from fellow substitute Neil Patience's cushioned ball across the six yard box.

Patience himself then saw a headed tipped over by Jalal following a cross into the box from Tamar Clayton-Naute - City's second trialist on show.

The Bantams did eventually get the third goal they had been threatening when Pybus followed up to hook home on the rebound after Taglione's shot had been repelled by Jalal.

Looking for his hat-trick, Pybus saw a swerving shot pushed away by the custodian after some good footwork from Sam Wright had got the left back deep into the box.

The former Sunderland midfielder nearly did nab his treble in slightly fortuitous circumstances in the game's closing stages but he was denied by a reflex save from Jalal. 

Not for the first time during the game, Pybus worked his way into the box - this time via a one-two with Taglione.

Tharme came across to try and cut out the danger but his attempted clearance bounced off the City man, forcing the Jalal into a reaction save to deny a goal.

1. George Sykes-Kenworthy
2. Jacob Hanson
3. Sam Wright
4. Callum Gunner
5. Kevin Toner
6. James King (c)
7. Tamar Clayton-Naute
8. Daniel Devine
9. Reece Powell
10. Daniel Pybus
11. Curtis Peters

12. Ross Mullett (GK)
14. Casey Taglione
15. Neil Patience
16. Harry Warren
17. Omed Gardezi

Gunner (2), Pybus (pen 42), (75)

Taglione for Powell (68), Patience for Peters (68), Warren for Wright (85)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact