Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 January 2018

Match Reports


6 January 2018

Stuart McCall's Bantams were forced to endure a difficult afternoon at the hands of Yeovil Town after the Sky Bet League Two ended City's interest in this season's Emirates FA Cup.

Second half strikes from Yeovil duo Marcus Barnes and Jordan Green forced City to sadly exit the FA Cup at the third round stage.

In truth, Yeovil deserved their success after a hard-working display against a strangely below-par Bantams side.

Although there was no arguing over the final result in the end, City's pre-match preparations certainly weren't helped by late injuries.

Lukas Raeder was called up into the side after Rouven Sattelmaier hurt his back on Friday, while Tony McMahon and Nathaniel Knight-Percival were also ruled out earlier in the week due to knocks.

Along with Raeder, Jacob Hanson was also brought into the team due to Luke Hendrie's unavailability.

From the very off, Yeovil seemed keen to stamp their authority on the tie and take the game to McCall's men.

Tyrell Robinson had to kick clear in the first minute after Jared Bird had driven the ball dangerously across the six yard box.

Francois Zoko, who enjoyed a loan spell at City during the 2014/2015 season, then forced a save out of Raeder with a curling drive from just inside the box soon after.

As the game moved past the half hour mark, and with City still struggling to impose themselves on their hosts, Yeovil engineered three decent openings in quick succession.

Firstly, Tom James saw a firm header from a corner saved by Raeder.

Soon after, Raeder had to be called upon to make a good save down to his right after Barnes had fired for goal with a low angled drive from inside the box.

A minute or so after that, James was involved again when his firm strike for goal from a Yeovil corner was blocked on the line by the body of Matthew Kilgallon.

City ended the half with Taylor forcing Krysiak into a save with a driven shot from just inside the area, but McCall's men had clearly been far from their best in the opening half.

The Bantams' hope of improving after the break were dealt a blow when Kilgallon failed to re-emerge from the tunnel for the second period.

The experienced defender had been limping towards the end of the first half after taking a kick on the shin. He was replaced by Adam Thompson before the restart.

City managed to make a positive start to the second half, with Timothee Dieng forcing a good save out of Krysiak following a neat one-two with Alex Gilliead.

Otis Khan - a player reportedly on the radar of a few clubs higher up the divisions - came within inches of finding the net with a curling free-kick, but Charlie Wyke then saw a low shot tipped around the post at the other end soon after.

City were slowly starting to impose themselves on the game, but they were rocked just after the hour when the Glovers caught them on the counter-attack.

Khan played Barnes into space in behind City's back-line and the young striker managed to find the net by slotting past Raeder.

The Bantams came mightily close to responding midway through the half, however, when Taylor nearly produced yet another stunner.

The City attacker let rip with a dipping drive from distance that beat the reach of Krysiak before crashing against the underside of his bar.

McCartan looked to cash in on the rebound but Krysiak was up quickly to make a crucial save with his legs.

From going so close to levelling things up, City then found themselves with it all to do fifteen minutes from the end.

A forceful run from Zoko eventually saw the ball land at the feet of Green and the busy winger tucked it away nicely with a neat finish from just inside the box.

Despite the score-line being against them, City still looked for a way back into the tie as time ticked away.

Taylor's delightful ball over the top found Wyke in space inside the box but the striker's effort was blocked behind.

Raeder even came up for a ninetieth-minute corner as City looked to keep their FA Cup hopes alive.

The shot-stopper couldn't get anything on the ball from Taylor's delivery but sub Daniel Devine did see a looping shot cleared off the line by James.

There was seemingly no denying the Glovers on the day, the League Two side deservedly booking their place in Monday's fourth round draw.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact