Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 March 2018

Club News


20 March 2018

City's Development Squad claimed victory in their Central League fixture with York City at Apperley Bridge this Tuesday.

Fresh from making his senior debut at Doncaster Rovers the night before, Joel Grodowski opened the scoring for the Bantams in the eighteenth minute.

Jordan Gibson doubled City's lead three minutes before the break from the penalty spot after Daniel Devine had been felled in the box.

Josh Law - brother of City midfielder Nicky Law - pulled a goal back for York just past the hour mark but the Bantams still managed to keep their noses in front to secure a 2-1 success.

Along with the trio of Grodowski, Gibson and Devine, fellow professionals Lukas Raeder, Dominic Poleon, Callum Gunner, Jacob Hanson, Kai Bruenker and Cameron Hawkes all also started the reserve-level fixture.

Bruenker actually had a hand in Grodowski's opener; the powerful forward showed dogged persistence to eventually get the better of York defender Clovis Kamdjo to tee up Grodowski, who finished neatly into the far corner with a strike roughly twelve yards out.

Grodowski could have doubled his tally for the afternoon later in the half but he lobbed narrowly wide after beating York 'keeper Ryan Whitley to Devine's hooked ball forward.

At the other end, Raeder showed some good glove-work to deny Flynn McNaughton, Connor Smith and Law with competent saves during the opening period.

The Bantams made a triple sub at the break, with Daniel Pybus, Ellis Hudson and apprentice Reece Powell coming on for Grodowski, Bruenker and Devine.

Raeder produced a smart reflex save early after the restart to tip over a fierce rising drive from distance by York midfielder Theo Wharton.

Law then went close for the visitors himself minutes later when his free-kick from just outside the box deflected off the wall and narrowly past Raeder's near post.

The former Oldham and Motherwell defender did register a goal for the Minstermen soon after, however, when his angled drive from just inside the box squirmed through the grasp of Raeder before bouncing in off the inside of the far post.

The Bantams looked to try and restore their two-goal advantage as the second period progressed, with Gibson twice firing wide.

The City attacker also saw a cross-come-shot scrambled away by Whitley in the York goal towards the end of the match.

In the middle of those chances for Gibson, though, York's Aaron Haswell came close to levelling things up when he fired narrowly wide with a low drive following a swift break forward from the visitors.

The final opportunity of the game fell the way of York's unnamed trialist but the attacker, who had already been denied by Raeder earlier in the half, saw his dipping effort from the edge of the box tipped over by the German shot-stopper in the final minute of normal time.

Raeder, Farrar, Hefele, Gunner, Hanson, Devine (Powell 46), Hawkes, Gibson, Poleon, Grodowski (Pybus 46), Bruenker (Hudson 46)

Subs not used: Sykes-Kenworthy, Webb-Foster

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact