Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 December 2019

Club News


12 December 2019

The FA Youth Cup run continues for Mark Trueman's young Bantams who overcame category-one Stoke City 5-4 on penalties.

After a breathless 120 minutes of football - which saw scores tied at 3-3 - City secured their place in the fourth round where either Chelsea or Huddersfield Town lie in wait. 

Despite a couple of half-chances for the Potters, the young Bantams pulled in front - through an Eliot Goldthrop penalty. 

Nathan Broom was unable to keep control of a back-pass, leaving Kian Scales in possession. The man between the sticks had no choice but to bring the attacker down.

Goldthorp made no mistake and placed the ball in the bottom-right corner - in the 32nd minute. 

On the stroke of half-time, the young Bantams made it two - through Charlie Wood. 

The winger scrambled home after Connor Morris chased down and squared a deflected Kian Scales effort.

Two goals down at the time of the restart, Stoke hit back in the 47th - courtesy of Mohamed Sankoh. 

The frontman slipped in front of his man and headed into the empty net, following a Reece Jones cross. 

After scoring, the Potters had a chance to score again - through an Adam Porter penalty. 

The attacker stepped up but could not level the scores as Jack Barrett denied the spot kick - in the 73rd minute. 

With pressure building, Stoke went close again and this time it was Andre Godfrinne.

The Potter’s top scorer found space on the right-hand side before smashing a shot off the bar - in the 78th minute mark.

With minutes to spare, Richard Walker’s men were able to grab the equaliser - in the 90th minute. 

Godfrinne dribbled past a couple of defenders before slotting into the bottom corner, sending the game into extra time. 

Despite conceding, the Bantams re-took the lead in extra-time - through another Goldthorp penalty. 

The midfielder stepped up and sent Broom the wrong way - in the 117th minute. 

However, in the dying embers of the game, Stoke grabbed another equaliser - on the 120 minute mark. 

Porter who - scored the earlier penalty - smashed it into the top corner, taking the game to penalties.  

After a perfect first eight penalties, it was Charlie Wood who was first to miss in the shoot-out. The No.10 stepped up but could not smash home, as Broom denied the attacker. 

Nevertheless, Godfrinne - who scored already - returned the favour as Barrett kept the striker out. 

With Oliver Norman giving the Bantams match point, it was up to goalkeeper Broom to level the scores. 

However, the man between the posts could not keep his shot down as the effort blazed over the bar - sparking scenes of jubilation amongst the young Bantams.

CITY: Jack Barrett; Harvey Rowe (Oliver Norman 94’), Reece Staunton © (booked 113’), Jorge Sikora, Finn Cousin-Dawson; Kian Scales, Eliot Goldthorp, Charlie Wood; Wade Ripley (Raj Palit 83’), Connor Morris, Dan Francis. Subs (not used): Harvey Ormerod, Luke Harrop, Yahaya Tunkara, Sonny Whittingham.

GOALS: Goldthorp (34' pen, 117' pen), Wood (44').

STOKE: Nathan Broom; Kieran Coates, Edward Jones, Daniel Maloney (Andre Godfrinne 71’), Connor Taylor; Lewis Macari, Soiyir Sanali (Reece Jones 45’), Adam Porter, Mohamed Sankoh; Ethon O’Driscoll-Varian (Josh Ireland 71’), Patrick Jarrett (Tom Sparrow 115’). Subs (not used): Paul Cooper, Tom Sparrow, Mohamed Akanoji, Ruben Gardner-McIntosh. 

GOALS: Sankoh (47'), Godfrinne (90'), Porter (120' pen).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact