Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 November 2019

Club News


11 November 2019

City’s under-18s side advanced to the third round of the FA Youth Cup following a dramatic 3-2 extra-time victory at Carlisle United. 

The Brunton Park encounter was end-to-end with both sides creating chances, but it was the young Bantams who came out on top - courtesy of a Harvey Rowe goal - 128 minutes in.  

City were close to taking the lead inside the opening minute, as home goalkeeper Isaac Robinson recovered well to keep out a long-range effort. 

Despite the early chance, the Bantams found themselves 1-0 down through Charlie Barnes - a minute later.

The United full-back smashed home from close range after the City defence were unable to clear a Jamie Armstrong cross.

Nevertheless, the young Bantams drew level, courtesy of Kian Scales. 

The No.8 - who has now scored three goals in his last two games - found space outside the box before curling the ball into the bottom-left corner - in the 25th minute. 

With confidence growing, City had opportunities to take the lead, through Connor Morris and Scales, but neither could find the target - before the half-time break. 

The Cumbrians went close after the restart, as Lewis Bell found himself free outside the box. The No.11 tried to bend it in but the chance came to no avail. 

Despite the second-half scare, Mark Trueman’s men took the lead for the first time - courtesy of Daniel Francis, 56 minutes in. 

Left-back Reece Staunton drove forward before spraying the ball across to Francis who unleashed an unstoppable drive which flew into the top corner via the underside of the crossbar. 

Having trailed for the first time all evening, Carlisle levelled the affair once more - 10 minutes later - through Jamie Armstrong. 

The winger blasted the ball past Tom Donaghy - after the City stopper proved unable to clear his lines.

With the end of the second-half beckoning, both sides managed to create chances, but could not grab the winner as the game went into extra-time.

In the dying embers of extra-time, the young Bantams sealed the deal, courtesy of Rowe. 

The second-half substitute found himself free at the back post before scrambling the ball home to spark mass jubilation.

Mark Trueman's men will now host category one side Stoke City in the third round. 

CITY: Tom Donaghy; Hayden Smethurst ©, Jorge Sikora, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Reece Staunton; Eliot Goldthorp (booked 128’), Kian Scales (Cole Roberts 110’), Olivier Sukiennicki (Wade Ripley 69’); Daniel Francis, Connor Morris (Harvey Rowe 90’), Charlie Wood. Subs (not used): Oliver Norman, Connor Shanks, Jonathan White. 

GOALS: Kian Scales (25’), Daniel Francis (56’), Harvey Rowe (128’).

CARLISLE: Isaac Robinson; Charlie Barnes (booked 29’), Charlie Birch, Tom Wilson ©, Elliott Day; Liam Lightfoot (DJ Taylor 81’), Adam Walton (Ryan Swailes 75’), Jamie Armstrong, Lewis Bell (Lewis Rooks 111’); Ethan Henderson (Kyle Soper 65’), Taylor Charters. Subs (not used): Gabriel Breeze; Lewis Rooks, Roan Steele, Keelan Leslie.

GOALS: Charlie Barnes (2’), Jamie Armstrong (66’).

MAN OF THE MATCH: Charlie Wood.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact