Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 October 2019

Club News


7 October 2019

City’s under-18s moved top of their EFL Youth Alliance Cup group - after a penalty shoot-out victory at 10-man Notts County.

The encounter ended 2-2 after 90 minutes however - similarly to the Trophy - if the match ends in a draw, penalties are taken, with the winning team awarded an extra point.

The young Bantams were in control from the off and were unlucky not to take an early lead after a couple of chances for Connor Morris - one hitting the crossbar - could not be converted.

Despite City’s dominance, the first goal of the game did not come until the 38th minute, when Mark Trueman’s men were awarded a penalty for handball. 

Morris picked his spot and smashed it through the grasp of County goalkeeper Bill Harrison - who got a hand to the effort but could not keep it out.

Having conceded first, the Magpies soon hit back, with defender Charlie Wilde heading home from a James Snedden free-kick - 15 minutes after the restart. 

Nonetheless, 13 minutes later, Trueman’s side took the lead once more - through Kian Scales.

The attacker was quicker than the rest to tap in a rebounded effort from Olivier Sukiennicki. 

The Bantams could have made it three with a long-range effort from Reece Staunton but were instead pegged back - with 10 minutes remaining.

Sneddon’s corner was dropped by City stopper Tom Donaghy, falling to the feet of substitute defender Emilio Stavrou who prodded home.

With full-time beckoning and penalties looking all the more likely, County were reduced to 10 men, with Tyreace Palmer given his marching orders.

The first two men to step up both missed as the shoot-out remained 0-0, allowing Sukiennicki to put the first score on the board with his slotted effort, and Snedden to equalise for the hosts. 

The next four penalties were all successful - making the scoreline 3-3 and giving Hayden Smethurst the chance to hand City the initiative.

The skipper stepped up but saw his effort saved, before Donaghy atoned for his earlier error by keeping out Some Muluany’s strike.

With the score tied, Staunton stepped up to coolly convert and hand City match point.

Wilde - who already had one goal under his belt - skied his effort to hand the Bantams a 4-3 shoot-out victory and extra point.

CITY: Tom Donaghy; Hayden Smethurst ©, Finn Cousin-Dawson (booked 34’), Reece Staunton, Harvey Rowe; Daniel Francis (booked 59’), Kian Scales, Cole Roberts (Olivier Sukiennicki 68’), Connor Shanks; Connor Morris (Jonny White 68’), Charlie Wood. Subs (not used): Darryl Ombiang, Oliver Norman, Frankie Sinfield.

GOALS: Morris (38’), Scales (73’). 

COUNTY: Bill Harrison; Morgan Mellors (Emillio Stavrou 75’), Stern Irvine, Charlie Wilde, Leo Marshall; James Snedden, Taylor Conway, Mazhi Simmons, Taylor Conway (Kieran Cummings 45’); Tyreace Palmer (dismssed 84’), Cameron Smith (Kayne McKenna 45’).

GOALS: Wilde (60’), Stavrou (78’). 

PENALTIES: Notts County 3-4 City 

CITY: Shanks (missed), Sukiennicki (scored), Francis (scored), Scales (scored), Smethurst (missed), Staunton (scored).  

COUNTY: Stavrou (missed), Snedden (scored), Cummings (scored), Marshall (scored), Muluany (missed), Wilde (missed).  

MAN OF THE MATCH: Connor Shanks.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact