Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 September 2019

Club News


21 September 2019

City returned to winning ways, beating Carlisle United 3-1 to move back into the Sky Bet League Two play-off places.

Gary Bowyer's Bantams survived late Carlisle pressure before making sure of the points in stoppage time, on their return to the Utilita Energy Stadium. 

In a breathless opening period, the visitors took the lead with 14 minutes on the clock.

Left-back Jack Iredale came forward and fed Olufela Olomola who took one touch and finished into the far corner, from a tight angle.

The Bantams responded with intent, drawing level on the half-hour mark - through Harry Pritchard.

Kelvin Mellor’s long throw into the box was helped on to the path of City’s new signing, who found the back of the net for his first goal in claret and amber.

Then came a major turning point in the contest as visiting midfielder Jack Bridge was dismissed after picking up a second booking - for bringing Pritchard down.

And, shortly after, Bowyer’s men snatched the initiative for the first time in the afternoon.

Matt Palmer’s pinpoint delivery found the head of Kelvin Mellor at the back post, who beat Adam Collin for his first goal of the season.

The Bantams controlled large parts of the second period and went close to extending their advantage on two occasions - before the hour mark. 

First, Clayton Donaldson had an effort ruled out by referee John Busby, who adjudged the Bradford-born forward to have handled the ball into the net. 

Then James Vaughan forced Collin into a superb stop at the front post, before Donaldson rattled the post with the rebound. 

The visitors threw men forward in search of an equaliser, after Bn Richards-Everton saw red for a high lunge. 

But the hosts successfuly dealt with the pressure and made sure of the points in stoppage time, through substitute Zeli Ismail. 

Breaking through Donaldson, the ball was worked to Ismail who skipped away from his defender and hammered high into the roof of the net, scoring his first goal for the club.

The Bantams are now up to sixth place in the league table. 

CITY: Richard O’Donnell; Kelvin Mellor, Paudie O’Connor, Ben Richards-Everton (red 62’), Connor Wood; Dylan Connolly (yellow 78', Zeli Ismail 78'), Callum Cooke (yellow 90+3'), Matt Palmer, Harry Pritchard (Aramide Oteh 82'); James Vaughan (c, Anthony O’Connor 71’), Clayton Donaldson. Subs (not used): Sam Hornby (GK), Adam Henley, Daniel Devine, Shay McCartan. 

GOALS: Pritchard (30’), Mellor (40’), Ismail (90+5').

CARLISLE: Adam Collin (c); Mohammed Sagaf (Elian Sörensen 82'), Byron Webster, Nathaniel Knight-Percival (yellow 39’), Jack Iredale (yellow 56’, Hallam Hope 73'); Jack Bridge (yellow 11’, red 33’), Mike Jones, Gethin Jones; Nathan Thomas, Olufela Olomola, Harry McKirdy (Christie Elliott 37’). Subs (not used): Louis Gray (GK), Jon Mellish, Jarrad Branthwaite, Ryan Loft.

GOALS: Olomola (14’).

ATTENDANCE: 14,217 (828 visitors).

REFEREE: John Busby.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact