Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 December 2020

Match Reports


15 December 2020

Sponsored by

The Bantams bagged a battling point at The People’s Pension Stadium - drawing 1-1 against Crawley Town.

Lee Novak opened the scoring for City, only for Mark Trueman's side to be pegged back in the 25th minute through a Harry Pritchard own goal - meaning Mark Trueman’s side settled for a point.

The visitors took the lead on 11 minutes as Lee Novak was quickest to react to Austin Samuels’ shot which was parried clear, only as far as the six-yard box.

The 32-year-old striker pounced on the loose ball to strike a first-time shot low into Glenn Morris’ goal.

The home side equalised in the 26th minute as Sam Matthews delivered an accurate free-kick towards the front-post.

Harry Pritchard rose highest to meet the cross, but ended up heading past Richard O’Donnell and into the top-right corner on the goal.

City came forward soon after as Lee Novak was fed the ball by Callum Cooke. The Bantams forward darted towards goal before delivering a low cross towards the back post, only to be cleared by a Crawley defender.

Mark Trueman’s side responded quickly and almost retook the lead as Elliot Watt delivered a free-kick into the centre of the box but Anthony O’Connor’s looping header was deflected over the crossbar.

The second half began with both sides enjoying spells of possession - with Connor Wood’s cross that was caught by Morris the closest either side came to taking the lead.

Austin Samuels tested the Crawley stopper after the ball was played out to him by Lee Novak.

Samuels did well to find some space inside of the box before unleashing a low shot into the bottom-left corner. The Crawley stopper got down well and managed to tip it around the post.

The Bantams had another chance to double their scoring as Harry Pritchard was played through the centre of the Red Devils’ backline, only for Morris to rush out and close down the angle - pushing his effort wide of the post. 

City kept the pressure up as Novak had his low shot saved by the Crawley goalkeeper, after he was played through by Callum Cooke. 

Crawley came close to taking the lead for the first time as they put a looping corner into the box. Substitute Nathan Ferguson rose highest to the ball in but could not keep the effort down as he headed over the bar.

The hosts almost took the lead late on as Nathan Ferguson played a ball into Max Watters, who made his way into the box before unleashing a flashed shot just wide of O'Donnell's upright.

Tony Craig came very close to scoring the winning goal in second-half injury time as Jack Powell delivered a free-kick deep to the back-post.

The centre-half got up well but put his header just over the crossbar - meaning the spoils would be shared at The People’s Pension Stadium. 

CRAWLEY: Glenn Morris; Jordan Tunnicliffe, Tony Craig, Tom Dallison (Ashley Nadesan 61’); Archie Davies, Nick Tsaroulla, Jack Powell, Jake Hessenthaler, Sam Matthews (Nathan Ferguson 61’); Max Watters, Tom Nichols (Sam Ashford 81’). Subs (not used): Stuart Nelson, Joe Mcnerney, David Sesay, Brian Galach.

GOALS: Harry Pritchard (26’ OG).

CITY: Richard O’Donnell ©; Connor Wood, Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor, Finn Cousin-Dawson; Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton; Harry Pritchard (Tyler French 78’), Callum Cooke, Austin Samuels (Kian Scales 69’); Lee Novak (Clayton Donaldson 78’). Subs (not used): Sam Hornby, Jackson Longridge, Jorge Sikora, Dylan Mottley-Henry. 

GOALS: Lee Novak (11’). 

REFEREE: Sam Purkiss. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact