Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 December 2020

Match Reports


1 December 2020

The Bantams narrowly lost out to high-flying Cheltenham Town at the Utilita Energy Stadium - falling to a 2-1 defeat.

Despite taking the lead early on, Stuart McCall's side succumbed to a late Chris Clements winner, as the Robins remained in the automatic promotion places. 

City’s first chance of the evening came in the second minute, as Kian Scales' deflected effort from outside the box flew just over the crossbar.

The Bantams came close nine minutes later as Elliot Watt delivered a long-range free-kick into the centre of the box. The cross was headed goalwards and parried out to Ben Richards-Everton, who could not find the target from close range.

Cheltenham hit back in the 18th minute with a chance of their own as George Lloyd tried to catch Richard O’Donnell off his line from the edge of the box, but his effort went just over the bar.

The Bantams took the lead in the 23rd minute as Callum Cooke whipped in a cross to Clayton Donaldson in the centre of the box, having been found by Connor Wood.

Donaldson beat the offside trap to flick his header beyond the reach of Josh Griffiths.

The Robins responded quickly and came close to levelling, as Liam Sercombe’s first-time shot hit the crossbar following a cross into the 18-yard area.

Michael Duff’s side had another chance to equalise in the 36th minute as William Boyle headed goalwards from a corner, but the effort went straight into the arms of the City stopper.

The visitors pulled level on the stroke of half-time through Alfie May. The Robins forward twisted away from the City defence on the edge of the box before striking a looping effort which deflected over O'Donnell and into the back of the net. 

Cheltenham almost took the lead in first-half injury time as O’Donnell pulled off a smart save from George Lloyd from ten yards out. The ball then found its way to Alfie May who took aim, but Anthony O’Connor got in the way of it.

The Robins started the second half quickly as Chris Hussey played a fast ball into George Lloyd who had his goalbound effort deflected over for a corner.

Stuart McCall’s side came close to re-taking the lead in the 59th minute as Byrce Hosannah was played through by Elliot Watt. The full-back was one-on-one with the goalkeeper but chipped it wide of the target.

The Robins countered quickly and would have taken the lead, had Ben Richards-Everton not come to City's rescue and headed George Lloyd’s close-range effort over the bar.

The Robins took the lead for the first time in the evening in the 76th minute - through Chris Clements.

Ben Tozer sent a teasing long throw into the box and City failed to clear their lines, giving Clements the opportunity to head home at the back-post, from inside the six-yard area.

CITY: Richard O’Donnell; Connor Wood, Ben Richards-Everton, Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor, Bryce Hosannah (Tyler French 64’); Kian Scales, Elliot Watt, Callum Cooke (Harry Pritchard 72’); Clayton Donaldson, Dylan Mottley-Henry (Austin Samuels 82’). Subs (not used): Sam Hornby (GK), Jackson Longridge, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Jorge Sikora.

GOALS: Donaldson (23'). 

ROBINS: Josh Griffiths; William Boyle, Ben Tozer, Charlie Raglan; Chris Hussey, Finn Azaz (Tom Sang 79’), Liam Sercombe, Ellis Chapman (Chris Clements 45’), Matty Blair; George Lloyd, Alfie May (Andy Williams 78’). Subs (not used): Scott Flinders (GK), Dan Bowry, Reuben Reid, Lewis Freestone.

GOALS: May (45), Clements (76'). 

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge (Tyne). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact