Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 November 2020

Match Reports


10 November 2020

The Bantams bowed out of the Papa John's Trophy with a 3-1 defeat to fellow Sky Bet League Two side Oldham Athletic - at the Utilita Energy Stadium.

After Davis Keillor-Dunn gave the visitors an early lead, the Bantams drew level in the 70th minute, before a late Alfie McCalmont double secured all three points for the Latics.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 7th minute through Keillor-Dunn - who broke through the middle of the Bantams defence and calmly converted past stopper Sam Hornby.

City were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position in the 13th minute. Connor Shanks’ short ball fell to the feet of Levi Sutton - who managed to get a low drive away which was collected by Ian Lawlor. 

Shanks again tested the hands of Lawlor between the Oldham Athletic sticks - who did well to match the youngster’s drive which was heading for the bottom the corner, in the 20th minute. 

George Blackwood came within inches of doubling the visitors’ lead in the 25th minute, but directed his half-volley just wide of the far post from inside the box. 

Sam Hornby made a fine reaction save in the 40th minute to deny Callum Whelan - which made up for Finn Cousin-Dawson losing possession at edge of the City box.

After good link-up play between the Bantams' attack, Kian Scales had his low, driven shot from inside the box cleared off the line by the Oldham defence moments before the half-time break.

Tyler French threatened the Latics goal after the half-time break with a powerful driven effort across the face of goal which failed to find a City player.

Dylan Bahamboula had a good opportunity to double the visitors’ lead in the 54th minute, but found the side-netting with his powerful strike from inside the penalty area. 

The Bantams drew level on the hour-mark, after Tyler French’s cross was turned into his own net by Oldham defender William Sutton - with Dylan Mottley-Henry lying in wait.

City continued to pile on the pressure and, just minutes later, hit the crossbar from a Finn Cousin-Dawson header - set up by a Jackson Longridge corner.

Just before the 70th minute, a quickly-taken Finn Cousin-Dawson free-kick saw Dylan Mottley-Henry inches away from stealing from the goalkeeper to score.

Despite more later pressure, it was the visitors who managed to grab what looked like a late winner - after Alfie McCalmont found the top corner from inside the penalty area. 

McCalmont then secured all three points for the away side when he struck into the bottom corner from the edge of the area - in the third minute of injury time - to see City exit the Papa John's Trophy. 

CITY: Sam Hornby; Tyler French, Jorge Sikora, Paudie O’Connor (Reece Staunton 46’), Ben Richards-Everton ©, Jackson Longridge; Levi Sutton, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Kian Scales; Dylan Mottley-Henry, Connor Shanks. Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Charlie Wood, Olivier Sukiennicki.

LATICS: Ian Lawlor; Sido Jombati, William Sutton, Raphaël Diarra (Kyle Jameson 72’); Thomas Hamer (c); Davis Keillor-Dunn, Alfie McCalmont, Callum Whelan, Dylan Bahamboula (Vani Da Silva 61’); Danny Rowe, Dylan Blackwood (Benjamin Garrity 72’). Subs (not used): Mackenzie Chapman, Robert Grant, Dylan Fage, Benjamin Hough.

REFEREE: James Oldham (Lancashire). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact