Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


10 April 2021

Match Reports


10 April 2021

Sponsored by

The Bantams made it four games unbeaten - while returning to winning ways - with a hard-fought 1-0 triumph over Grimsby Town.

Anthony O’Connor’s first-half strike was enough to see City to victory at the Utilita Energy Stadium - and complete a league double over the Mariners.

After a cagey opening, it was the visitors who created the first real opening when Sam Habergham whipped a corner towards the back post. Giles Coke rose above Gareth Evans to meet the cross, but failed to keep his header down.

City had James McKeown worried midway through the first half as the ball ricocheted to Gareth Evans on the edge of the 18-yard-box.

The 32-year-old, on his 100th league appearance for City, had his half-volley towards the bottom-right corner saved well by the Mariners’ stopper.

Finn Cousin-Dawson had a chance to open the scoring moments later as the ball fell to him from 15 yards out, however he had his goalbound effort blocked by Coke.

Two former Bantams attempted to put Paul Hurst’s side in front as Filipe Morais floated a ball over to James Hanson at the back post. Niall Canavan beat City’s joint-third highest goal-scorer in the air to head behind for a corner.

The Bantams sprung into life as the first half entered the close stages as Connor Wood swung an inviting ball across the face of the Grimsby goal to Andy Cook, who had his shot blocked away for a corner.

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ side broke the deadlock in the 42nd minute when Gareth Evans’ corner was cleared to the edge of the penalty area.

The ball was played back into the box and glanced on inadvertently by Jay Matete, only as far as Anthony O’Connor who clinically converted into the bottom corner.

Seconds after James Bell had blown the half-time whistle, Stefan Payne was shown red when he clashed with ex-Bantam Morais on their way back into the away dressing room.

The Bantams began the second period on the front foot and could have doubled their advantage when Charles Vernam played Connor Wood in behind Grimsby’s backline before smashing his shot against the crossbar from 10 yards out.

With the game in the final stages, the Mariners looked to draw level and had a golden opportunity when Luke Spokes was given the ball on the edge of the 18-yard area, but he hammered his effort high and wide of the target  - leaving City to claim all three points.

CITY: Richard O’Donnell ©; Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor; Connor Wood, Gareth Evans, Elliot Watt (Kian Scales 86’), Finn Cousin-Dawson; Billy Clarke (Charles Vernam 69’); Andy Cook (Danny Rowe 69’), Clayton Donaldson (Ollie Crankshaw 77’). Subs (not used): Sam Hornby (GK), Jordan Stevens, Jorge Sikora.

GOALS: Anthony O’Connor (42’).

GRIMSBY: James McKeown; Luke Hendrie, Sam Habergham (Luke Waterfall 45’), Rollin Menayese, Elliott Hewitt ©; Filipe Morais (Lenell John-Lewis 45’), Giles Coke (Luke Spokes 83’), Jay Matete (Julien Lamy 90’), George Williams (Harry Clifton 45’); Stefan Payne, James Hanson. Subs (not used): Ollie Battersby (GK), Matt Green.

GOALS: None. 

REFEREE: James Bell. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact