Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 April 2021

Match Reports


2 April 2021

Sponsored by

City secured back-to-back victories in Sky Bet League Two with an emphatic 4-1 triumph over Forest Green Rovers. 

A goal from Elliot Watt and a second-half double from Andy Cook - as well as a late Danny Rowe strike - was enough for the Bantams to gain all three points at the Utilita Energy Stadium. 

The hosts broke the deadlock after 11 minutes when a cleared corner fell to Watt on the edge of the 18-yard box, and he volleyed in his third goal of the season. 

Rovers had a chance to level immediately after when the ball fell to Isaac Hutchinson, but he slipped and shot wide. 

The visitors had another opportunity to equalise but Elliott Whitehouse headed past the post.  

City went close to doubling their advantage when Gareth Evans’ outswinging corner was headed just over by Cook. 

The West Yorkshire side then again went close to adding to their lead when Kian Scales set up Cook, who had his fierce volley denied by Lewis Thomas. 

The Bantams, who created chances aplenty in the opening period, went close once more when the ball fell to The City No.29 around 45 yards from goal. 

The towering frontman let fly with an audacious long-range half-volley which looped over the goalkeeper but cannoned off the crossbar. 

Rovers had a penalty appeal when Canavan bought down Collins, but it the referee waved it away. 

The visitors went close just before half time when Whitehouse turned and shot, however, the ball trickled wide of the post as the Bantams remained in front heading into the interval. 

City doubled their advantage immediately after the restart when Cook ran through on goal and slotted past the goalkeeper. 

Rovers nearly pulled a goal back when Nicholas Cadden’s cross-cum-shot was stopped on the line by Richard O'Donnell. 

Cadden then had a free-kick in a dangerous position which he struck over the crossbar. 

City rallied and made it three when Billy Clarke played the ball to Cook - who tricked his way into the penalty area and netted his seventh goal in nine games. 

The Green Army netted consolation goal when Jake Young struck past O’Donnell from distance. 

However, the Bantams had the final say and added another just before the final whistle.

Substitutes Charles Vernam and Danny Rowe combined to finish off a City counter attack, with the latter finding a way past Thomas. 

This put the emphasis on another victory for City who remain unbeaten on home soil under the leadership of Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars. 

CITY: Richard O’Donnell ©; Niall Canavan (booked 86’), Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor (booked 31’), Connor Wood; Gareth Evans (Billy Clarke 72’), Kian Scales (Ollie Crankshaw 85’), Elliot Watt (booked 77’), Finn Cousin-Dawson; Clayton Donaldson (Charles Vernam 81’), Andy Cook (Danny Rowe 81’). Subs (not used): Sam Hornby, Jordan Stevens, Matty Foulds. 

GOALS: Elliot Watt (11’), Andy Cook (47', 76’), Danny Rowe (90+4’). 

FOREST GREEN: Lewis Thomas; Kane Wilson, Dominic Bernard, Chris Stokes ©, Bailey Cargill; Isaac Hutchinson (Taylor Allen 46’), Aaron Collins, Nicholas Cadden (Odin Bailey 71’); Jake Young, Elliott Whitehouse. Subs (not used): Luke McGee, Scott Wagstaff, Udoka Godwin-Malfie, Josh Davison, Jayden Richardson. 

GOALS: Jake Young (90’). 

REFEREE: Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact