Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 August 2021

Match Reports


14 August 2021

Sponsored by

City earned their first victory of the season with a dramatic, late 2-1 triumph over Oldham Athletic - in front of over 17,000 supporters - at the Utilita Energy Stadium.

Lee Angol’s penalty - with what was the last kick of the game - gave Derek Adams his first win as Bantams boss in 'The Homecoming'. 

The first opportunity of the game fell to the hosts when Callum Cooke’s corner was headed over the crossbar by Gareth Evans, who was making his first appearance of the season. 

The Bantams broke the deadlock with just over half an hour played when Richard O’Donnell’s long kick up field was flicked on by Andy Cook into the path of Angol, who smashed a half volley through the goalkeeper. 

Shortly after, the Latics went close to finding an equaliser when the ball fell to Davis Keillor-Dunn inside the penalty area, but his effort was kept out by Richard O’Donnell as City maintained their lead heading into the interval. 

The West Yorkshire side went close to adding a second when Cook set up Angol, however he lashed his effort wide of the goal. 

The Greater Manchester outfit went close once again through Keillor-Dunn whose curling attempt bent just past the post. 

The Bantams threatened to double their advantage again after a counter attack, but Cook and Cooke both went for the same ball and ended up striking it harmlessly over the crossbar. 

Angol went close to sealing the victory for the hosts after some neat work, but dragged a shot wide of the far post. 

As the game neared a close, the visitors netted an equaliser when Dylan Bahamboula took a wicked deflection before flying past O’Donnell. 

However, there was more drama to come when City were awarded a penalty in the dying seconds, with Angol brought down inside the 18-yard box. 

Angol himself stepped up to take it, and made no mistake in finding the back of the net - to seal a dramatic three points for the Bantams. 

CITY: Richard O’Donnell; Finn Cousin-Dawson, Paudie O’Connor, Niall Canavan ©, Liam Ridehalgh; Elliot Watt, Gareth Evans (Charles Vernam 51’), Alex Gilliead, Lee Angol; Callum Cooke, Andy Cook. SUBS (not used): Sam Hornby, Fiacre Kelleher, Matthew Foulds, Oliver Crankshaw, Kian Scales, Caolan Lavery. 

GOALS: Lee Angol (32', 90+8' pen). 

OLDHAM: Danny Rogers; Jordan Clarke (Jacob Blyth 89’), Carl Piergianni, Sam Hart, Nicky Adams (Zak Dearnley 76’); Callum Whelan, Ousseynou Cisse, Jack Stobbs, Dylan Bahamboula; Keillor-Dunn Davis, Jamie Hopcutt (Hallam Hope 54’). SUBS (not used): Kacper Danielewicz, Dylan Fage, Kyle Jameson, Raphael Diarra. 

GOALS: Dylan Bahamboula (90+2’). 

REFEREE: Stephen Martin. 

ATTENDANCE: 17,264 (including 1,119 Oldham fans).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact