Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 February 2021

Match Reports


20 February 2021

Sponsored by

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ City recorded back-to-back victories in Sky Bet League Two - with a 2-0 triumph over high-flying Cheltenham Town at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium.

Two goals from Andy Cook either side of half-time - opening his account for the club - were enough to see the Bantams clinch all three points and move up to 13th. 

Sam Hornby was called into action in the 5th minute as Callum Wright played Chris Hussey down the left before crossing in - only for the City stopper to claim it comfortably. 

The Bantams had a chance to open the scoring in the 9th minute as Connor Wood delivered a cross towards the back post. 

Josh Griffiths failed to catch it after a battle with Andy Cook in the air. Levi Sutton took the loose ball under control before lashing over from close range.

The visitors were ahead just moments later as Callum Cooke whipped an inswinging corner towards the back post. Andy Cook won the battle with his defender, before nodding in from a yard out.

The hosts responded with an attack as the game approached the half-hour mark. Cheltenham burst forward down the right and crossed over to Wright in the box, who placed his header low into the arms of Hornby.

The Robins threatened Hornby’s goal again as Alfie May stood over a 20-yard free-kick. His strike was drilled low beneath the wall, but flew just past the post.

The pressure continued from Michael Duff’s side, and they missed another chance to equalise in the 30th minute.

Hussey launched a free-kick into the 18-yard area from the centre of the pitch. Wright rose highest but flicked his header wide of the post.

Elliot Watt came to the Bantams’ rescue as the first half approached the final stages. The ball fell to a Cheltenham attacker from 12 yards out who unleashed a powerful effort goalwards. The City midfielder jumped up and headed the ball clear of the goal-line.

Michael Duff’s side started the second half strongly but it was City who took advantage with a quick counter attack, to double their advantage.

Cook was played through by Callum Cooke to get past his man and round the goalkeeper, before turning it in from a tight angle to give Trueman and Sellars' side breathing space.

Cheltenham had an opportunity in the 56th minute - as Levi Sutton lost the ball on the halfway line. Alfie May was played through on goal and got away from Paudie O’Connor before pulling his effort wide of the goal.

City had a good chance to add a third when Gareth Evans put Cooke through on goal. The 23-year-old got away from his man, before cutting inside and curling an effort towards the far corner, which just missed Griffiths’ upright.

The hosts came close to pulling one back in the 83rd minute as the ball ricocheted out to Matty Blair who struck his powerful effort way over the crossbar.

The Robins missed a golden opportunity to score in second-half stoppage time as the ball fell to Andy Williams from 10 yards out.

The experienced forward struck it on the half-volley but skied the ball into the back of the stand - leaving City to clinch the points in Gloucestershire.

ROBINS: Josh Griffiths; Chris Hussey, Ben Tozer ©, Charlie Raglan, Lewis Freestone (Indiana Vassilev 59’); Conor Thomas, Finn Azaz (Sean Long 59’), Callum Wright (George Lloyd 59’); Sam Smith (Andy Williams 72’), Alfie May. Subs (not used): Scott Flinders, Grant Horton, Tom Chamberlain.

GOALS: None. 

CITY: Sam Hornby; Connor Wood, Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor (c), Anthony O’Connor; Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton (Kian Scales 90’); Gareth Evans, Callum Cooke (Jordan Stevens 81’), Charles Vernam (Ollie Crankshaw 71’); Andy Cook (Danny Rowe 71’). Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Clayton Donaldson, Finn Cousin-Dawson.

GOALS: (Cook 12’, 51’). 

REFEREE: Matthew Donohue. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact