Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 February 2021

Match Reports


23 February 2021

The Bantams made it three-straight victories in Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ first game as permanent managers - winning 1-0 against Leyton Orient.

A late penalty from Callum Cooke saw City clinch all three points at the Utilita Energy Stadium, to climb to 11th in the league table. 

The O’s came close in the opening stages when Jobi McAnuff’s deflected free-kick almost wrong-footed Sam Hornby. The experienced midfielder’s shot came off the well-positioned wall and bounced away for a corner.

The Bantams called Lawrence Vigouroux into action in the 19th minute as Danny Rowe, Levi Sutton and Charles Vernam exchanged some neat passes to create an opening for Gareth Evans. 

The 32-year-old midfielder cut inside the box before drilling a low shot in the arms of the Orient stopper.

The visitors had another chance on the half-hour mark as McAnuff played the ball through to Dan Kemp, who got away from Sutton before unleashing a dipping effort towards the far corner. Hornby looked to have it covered but the ball whistled just past the upright.

Danny Rowe had a golden chance to break the deadlock at the start of the second half as Hornby’s long goal-kick caught the swirling wind and bounced over the Orient defence. 

Rowe controlled the ball as it came over his shoulder but placed his tame effort straight into Vigouroux’s hands.

City continued to press and almost took the lead in the 66th minute as Callum Cooke played through Ollie Crankshaw inside the 18-yard box. The City substitute turned away from his defender before striking goalwards to force a quick reaction save from Orient’s goalkeeper.

The visitors responded with a chance of their own as Ousseynou Cisse picked up the ball on the corner of City’s penalty area. The O’s midfielder found some space and looked to deliver into the box, but his cross headed for the near post and almost caught the Bantams keeper out.

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ side kept pushing to find an opening and almost took the lead as the game entered the final quarter. Elliot Watt swung a free-kick in from the left side, only for Andy Cook to flick his header wide.

Just when time looked to be runing out, the Bantams were awarded a penalty in the 80th minute as Connor Wood played in Crankshaw towards the touchline. The 22-year-old came inside but was wrestled to the floor by Adam Thompson. 

Callum Cooke stepped up for the resulting spot-kick and lashed it into the roof of the net to put City ahead and take all three points from the match. 

CITY: Sam Hornby; Connor Wood, Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor (c), Anthony O’Connor; Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton; Gareth Evans (Ollie Crankshaw 63’), Callum Cooke (Clayton Donaldson 89’), Charles Vernam (Jordan Stevens 75’); Danny Rowe (Andy Cook 63’). Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Kian Scales.

GOALS: (Callum Cooke 81’). 

ORIENT: Lawrence Vigouroux; Ousseynou Cisse (James Dayton 88’), Dan Happe, James Brophy, Adam Thompson; Dan Kemp (Tristan Abrahams 75’), Jobi McAnuff ©, Nick Freeman, Olatunji Akinola, Conor Wilkinson, Danny Johnson. Subs (not used): Sam Sargeant, Joe Widdowson, Josh Coulson, Jamie Turley, Matt Young.

GOALS: None. 

REFEREE: James Adcock (Nottinghamshire). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact