Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 January 2021

Match Reports


23 January 2021

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ Bantams made it six games unbeaten at the Abbey Stadium - with a 0-0 draw against Sky Bet League Two leaders Cambridge United. 

Chances fell for both sides during an end-to-end 90 minutes, but City left Cambridgeshire with a share of the spoils after almost a month without a game. 

The visitors started brightly and had their first shot at goal in the 8th minute as Levi Sutton took aim from the edge of the box.

Soon after, the ball was played out wide to Billy Clarke who put a low cross into the box. Paul Digby could only clear as far as Danny Rowe on the edge of the area, who unleashed a powerful strike which stung the palms of the U's 'keeper - who was subsequently withdrawn. 

The hosts came close to opening the scoring in the 21st minute as Wes Hoolahan weaved away from his defender on the edge of the box before laying the ball off to Paul Mullin who took aim.

City goalkeeper Sam Hornby - who now has back-to-back clean sheets - managed to palm it over the crossbar for a Cambridge corner.

Hornby came to City’s rescue again as Hoolahan played the ball into Mullin who had his effort from close range smothered by the 25-year-old.

Hoolahan and Mullin linked up again in first-half injury-time, as the former Irish international played the league's leading marksman in behind the City defence.

The Cambridge striker took the ball in his stride but could not find a way past Hornby, who made a smart save.

Mark Trueman’s side almost took the lead at the start of the second half as debutant Danny Rowe hit a ferocious shot from distance.

The U’s substitute stopper, Callum Burton, was equal to it and managed to tip it around the post for a City corner.

Rowe came close again in the 54th minute from a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area. The Bantams' newest recruit struck a low free-kick goalwards which flew just past the post.

City's biggest chance of the gae saw them come within inches of taking the lead - in the 78th minute.

Callum Cooke played Gareth Evans in behind the U’s defence. The 32-year-old beat the offside trap and hit a low effort which bounced off both posts before the Cambridge defence cleared.

A spell of pressure followed from the visitors but they could not find a breakthrough ensuring the points were shared at the Abbey Stadium.

CAMBRIDGE: Dimitar Mitov (Callum Burton 16’); Kyle Knoyle, Paul Digby, Greg Taylor, Robbie Cundy; Luke Hannant (Harvey Knibbs 80’), Wes Hoolahan, Harrison Dunk (Jack Iredale 80’), Adam May; Joe Ironside, Paul Mullin. Subs (not used): Liam O’Neil, Jubril Okendina, Leon Davies, Ben Worman.

CITY: Sam Hornby; Finn Cousin-Dawson, Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor, Connor Wood; Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton; Gareth Evans, Callum Cooke, Billy Clarke (Jordan Stevens 71’); Danny Rowe. Subs (not used): Will Huffer, Niall Canavan, Clayton Donaldson, Tyler French, Rumarn Burrell, Kian Scales.

REFEREE: Sam Allison. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact