Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


27 March 2021

Match Reports


27 March 2021

Sponsored by

The Bantams returned to winning ways with a hard-fought 2-1 victory at Colchester United.

Goals from Kian Scales - his first in professional football - and Andy Cook were enough to see City take all three points in Essex.

The Bantams started brightly and had their first real chance when Gareth Evans played Connor Wood down the left side.

City’s No.23 floated the ball towards the centre of the box for Cook, who put his free header wide.

Mark Trueman and Connor Sellars’ side continued their pressure and were ahead in the 10th minute, in emphatic fashion.

Clayton Donaldson picked up Ben Stevenson’s loose pass in the final third, before laying off to Scales who curled his shot into the top right corner, beyond the outstretched arms of Dean Gerken.

The U’s had a golden opportunity to equalise in the 28th minute when Courntey Senior battled his way through City’s defence, before setting up Jevani Brown, who rifled his shot over the crossbar from 15 yards out. 

Another chance followed for the hosts when Frank Nouble darted into City’s penalty area before cutting back to Harry Pell who sliced his shot wide from six yards out.  

Wayne Brown’s side levelled on the stroke of half-time as Brown whipped in a cross to Nouble at the far post.

The 29-year-old forward rose highest to head back across the face of the goal and into the top-right corner.

Niall Canavan almost put the Bantams back in front during first-half stoppage time when the ball was swung into Colchester's 18-yard-area from a City free-kick.

The Leeds-born defender watched it come over his shoulder but was unable to get a proper connection to turn it in.

The visitors re-took the lead as the match approached the hour mark when piling pressure onto the U’s defence. 

Donaldson picked up the ball by the corner flag and crossed into Cook at the back post.

The towering frontman beat his man in the air to head home from close range, netting his fifth goal since joining on loan in January.

Harry Pell squandered another chance midway through the second half when Senior weaved his way down the right flank before pulling the ball back to Colchester’s captain - who saw his shot fly into the back of the stand.

The Bantams responded well and hit the woodwork moments later as Scales picked up the ball and turned away from his defender, before unleashing a ferocious effort that rattled the crossbar. 

Jordan Stevens almost wrapped up the points in second-half injury time as he rounded Gerken but had his shot cleared off the line by a Colchester defender - however the two goals proved to be enough for City to claim all three points.

COLCHESTER: Dean Gerken; Ryan Clampin (Josh Doherty 55’), Tommy Smith, Tom Eastman, Junior Tchamadeu; Ben Stevenson (Tom Lapslie 62’), Harry Pell ©, Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu (Noah Chilvers 83’), Courtney Senior; Frank Nouble, Jevani Brown (Paris Cowan-Hall 83’). Subs (not used): Shamal George, Miles Welch-Hayes, Michael Folivi.

GOALS: Nouble (42’).

CITY: Richard O’Donnell ©; Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor, Anthony O’Connor; Connor Wood, Gareth Evans, Kian Scales (booked 75') (Jordan Stevens 90’), Levi Sutton, Finn Cousin-Dawson (Elliot Watt 63’); Andy Cook (Danny Rowe 79’), Clayton Donaldson (Matty Foulds 90’). Subs (not used): Sam Hornby, Rumarn Burrell, Connor Shanks.

GOALS: Scales (10’), Cook (58’). 

REFEREE: Graham Salisbury. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact