Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 March 2021

Match Reports


13 March 2021

Sponsored by

The Bantams fell to defeat at Brunton Park - losing 3-1 to Carlisle United in Sky Bet League Two.

Chris Beech’s side scored three times before the hour to condemn the Bantams to back-to-back defeats for the first time in three months. 

The hosts started on the front foot, as Charles Vernam blocked Jack Armer’s strike and Sam Hornby parried away Callum Guy’s volley from the edge of the box.

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ side almost broke the deadlock in the 29th minute as Andy Cook played through Ollie Crankshaw on the left side. 

The 22-year-old weaved past George Tanner but took a heavy touch which rolled into the goalkeeper’s arms.

The Cumbrians were aided by the blustery conditions and took the lead after 37 minutes, when Callum Guy sent a corner in. 

Rhys Bennett leapt up in the crowded six-yard box and headed the ball down into the ground to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Minutes later Carlisle scored a second when the ball was floated into City’s penalty area again. A number of players congested the goalmouth but Zanzala was on hand to scramble in from close range, despite the linesman's flag signalling a foul against the home striker.

The Blues started the second period strongly and added a third shortly after the restart. 

Dickenson darted down the right-hand side before crossing into Zanzala, who lost his defender. The Carlisle No.10 headed back across the face of goal into the bottom right corner to score his second of the afternoon.

City rallied in search of a comeback and pulled one back in the 64th minute - as Elliot Watt’s free-kick was cleared to Gareth Evans.

Evans rifled his first-time effort goalwards, where it took a deflection off Paudie O’Connor to see it into the bottom corner, beyond the outstretched arms of Farman.

A series of chances followed for the Bantams as Evans was played through, but had his shot smothered by the Carlisle stopper.

Cook was then played in behind the Cumbrians’ backline but he flicked his effort over the keeper and just wide of the post.

Cook came close in second-half stoppage time as Billy Clarke floated a corner to the back post. 

City’s No. 29 jumped highest to head into the top corner but Farman scrambled across the goalline to save it and ensure that the Bantams would suffer a defeat in Cumbria.

CARLISLE: Paul Farman; George Tanner, Rhys Bennett, Rod McDonald, Joe Riley (Aaron Hayden 81’); Callum Guy (c), Jack Armer, Brennan Dickenson (Omari Patrick 89’) Jon Mellish; Lewis Alessandra, Offrande Zanzala (Gime Toure 77’). Subs (not used): Magnus Norman, Nick Anderton, Taylor Charters, Ethan Walker.

GOALS: (Bennett 37’, Zanzala 39’, 56’).

CITY: Sam Hornby; Connor Wood, Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor ©, Anthony O’Connor; Elliot Watt (Jordan Stevens 67’), Levi Sutton (Kian Scales 78’); Ollie Crankshaw (Danny Rowe 45’), Gareth Evans, Charles Vernam (Billy Clarke 66’); Andy Cook. Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Clayton Donaldson, Finn Cousin-Dawson.

GOALS: (P O’Connor 64’).

REFEREE: Ollie Yates. 

Keep in the loop with Bradford City

* indicates required
/ / ( dd / mm / yyyy )

I would like to receive updates on:

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact