Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 March 2021

Match Reports


2 March 2021

Sponsored by

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars' Bantams made it five-straight victories - for the first time in over 16 years - with a hard-fought 1-0 triumph over Mansfield Town.

Danny Rowe's first-half strike - on his return to the starting line-up - was enough to separate the two sides, to ensure City won five matches back to back for the first time since 2004.

Mansfield had Sam Hornby scrambling in the opening stages as Jason Law was fed the ball just inside of the 18-yard area. The Stags' No.29 turned towards goal before striking a dipping shot which hit the post and rebounded to the City defence to clear.

The Bantams had a chance to open the scoring just minutes later as Charles Vernam won the ball on the halfway line and drove towards the visitors’ defensive third.

He was brought down by a Mansfield defender when approaching goal and Danny Rowe stepped up for the resulting free-kick, but blasted his effort into the wall.

The hosts were ahead in the 32nd minute when Elliot Watt delivered a free-kick from halfway, deep into the Stags’ penalty area.

Niall Canavan rose highest to head it back towards Rowe - who stroked his first-time shot low past Aidan Stone from eight yards out.

Nigel Clough’s side had the ball in the back of City’s net in first-half stoppage time as Jamie Reid danced across the defence before poking through a neat ball to Harry Charsley - who stuck it beyond Hornby, but the Stags’ substitute did not beat the offside flag.

Mark Trueman and Conor Sellars’ side almost doubled their advantage as Ryan Sweeney slipped over and was dispossessed by Rowe. The 32-year-old twisted towards goal and unleashed a fierce strike which was parried behind for a corner.

As the second half hit the midway point, Jordan Bowery came close to equalising as the Bantams lost possession in their own half. Mansfield’s No.9 struck the ball from the edge of the box, but Connor Wood threw himself in the way and deflected it behind.

Callum Cooke came close to sealing the points for the Bantams as he picked up the ball and struck a feriocious effort from 20 yards out low into the bottom corner. Stone got down well and managed to palm the effort round the post as the hosts piled on the pressure.

The Stags almost levelled the scoring late on in the second half as Jason Law whipped in a corner to Ollie Clarke who flicked his header just wide of the upright.

Just moments later, the visitors’ captain received a straight red card for elbowing Connor Wood in frustration - as City sent Nigel Clough’s side back to Nottinghamshire empty handed.

CITY: Sam Hornby; Connor Wood, Niall Canavan, Paudie O’Connor ©, Anthony O’Connor; Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton; Ollie Crankshaw (Billy Clarke 58’), Callum Cooke (Finn Cousin-Dawson 90+3’), Charles Vernam (Jordan Stevens 77’); Danny Rowe (Clayton Donaldson 77’). Subs (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Rumarn Burrell, Kian Scales.

GOALS: Rowe (32’).

MANSFIELD: Aidan Stone; Mal Benning, Ryan Sweeney, Farrend Rawson; Kellan Gordon, Ollie Clarke ©, Jason Law, Stephen Quinn (Tyrese Sinclair 86’); Jamie Reid, Jordan Bowery, George Maris (Harry Charsley 20’). Subs (not used): Marek Stech, Corey O’Keefe, James Perch, James Clarke, Jake Wright.

REFEREE: Paul Howard. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact