Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 April 2022

Match Reports


18 April 2022

The Bantams fell to an Easter Monday defeat at the JobServe Community Stadium, losing 3-0 to Colchester United.

A difficult afternoon for Mark Hughes' men saw them reduced to 10 men for the second time in as many matches while conceding three without reply. 

The U’s struck early in the encounter when Myles Kenlock received the ball in the box, lashing an effort off the post and into Alex Bass’ goal.

Andy Cook came close to finding an immediate response when he met Caolan Lavery’s cross in the air, but his effort sailed just past the post.

Brendan Wiredu doubled the hosts' advantage on the half-hour mark, finishing off a tidy set-piece routine. 

A cross to the back post was returned across the box and headed home by the midfielder, giving the hosts a two-goal lead heading into half-time.

Lee Angol sought to make an immediate impact after his introduction on the hour mark, curling an effort towards the top corner but Shamal George managed to tip it over.

The Bantams' afternoon went from bad to worse when captain Paudie O’Connor received his marching orders for two bookable offences.

Colchester then completed the scoring with 15 minutes to go when Freddie Sears found the top corner from the edge of the area to condemn City to a heavy defeat. 

COLCHESTER: Shamal George; Luke Chambers, Tommy Smith, Brendan Wierdu, Cole Skuse (Luke Hannant 74’); Alan Judge, Freddie Sears (Owura Edwards 82’), Noah Chilvers, Myles Kenlock; Junior Tchamadeu (Miles Welch-Hayes 90’), Emyr Huws. SUBS (not used): Ted Collins, Tom Eastman, John Akinde, Tyreik Wright.

GOALS: Myles Kenlock (16’), Brendan Wiredu (30’), Freddie Sears (78’).

CITY: Alex Bass; Oscar Threlkeled (Jamie Walker 45’), Paudie O’Connor (booked 52’, dismissed 66’), Yann Songo’o, Callum Cooke; Andy Cook (Lee Angol 60’), Alex Gilliead, Matty Foulds, Gareth Evans (Fiacre Kelleher 71’); Levi Sutton, Caolan Lavery. SUBS (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Charles Vernam, Luke Hendrie, Dion Pereira.

REFEREE: Darren Handley. 

ATTENDANCE: 2,893 (288 City supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact