Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 August 2022

Match Reports


6 August 2022

City fell to their first defeat of the campaign at Barrow, as Josh Gordon’s last-gasp goal saw Mark Hughes’ men beaten 3-2.  

Five second-half goals in a topsy-turvy 45 minutes at the SO Legal Stadium saw the Bantams leave Cumbria empty-handed. 

Clear-cut chances were few and far between for both sides in the opening period, which ended goalless. 

City started on the front foot, with Ryan East’s cross being narrowly missed at the far post by Vadaine Oliver, before Romoney Crichlow went close to connecting with Richie Smallwood’s free-kick. 

Barrow grew into the half towards its end as former Bantam Niall Canavan headed onto the roof of the net in first-half stoppage time. 

The Bantams again began the second period looking to gain the initiative, though it was the hosts who took the lead with just over an hour on the clock. 

Ben Whitfield picked the ball up on the edge of the area before working room for a shot and finding the bottom corner. 

Just two minutes later, though, and Hughes’ men had drawn level, through substitute Jake Young. 

Andy Cook helped the ball onto Ryan East in the area, who fed Young out wide. Just five minutes into his City debut, the 21-year-old struck a swerving effort over the line with help from the underside of the crossbar. 

As both sides looked to snatch a winner as the game went on, it was the Bluebirds who got their noses back in front with five minutes left. 

Ben Whitfield’s corner was not cleared by the visiting defence, allowing Sam McClelland to find Josh Kay, who’s shot then met the back of the net. 

The game was not done there, as City thought they had secured a point in the fifth minute of added time. 

Young again turned in the box and sent an effort goalward, which was parried by Farman. Andy Cook followed in to score against his former club and send the away end into raptures. 

The Bantams’ celebrations were short lived, as just a minute later at the other end, a cross from the right-hand side was met in the box by Josh Gordon, who sent the hosts back in front and sealed all three points. 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Liam Ridehalgh, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (C), Lee Angol (Jake Young 60’), Alex Gilliead (Levi Sutton 77’), Ryan East (Yann Songo’o 89’), Vadaine Oliver (Andy Cook 60’), Harry Chapman, Romoney Crichlow. Subs (not used): Colin Doyle, Matty Foulds, Timi Odusina. 

BARROW: Paul Farman, Patrick Brough, Niall Canavan (C), Billy Waters (Josh Kay 75’), Josh Gordon, Harrison Neal, Robbie Gotts, Sam Foley, Tyrell Warren, George Ray (Sam McClelland 14’), Ben Whitfield. Subs (not used): Josh Lillis, John Rooney, Tom White, Joe Grayson, Jordan Stevens. 

ATTENDANCE: 4,012 (including 620 City supporters). 

REFEREE: Martin Woods. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact