Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 December 2022

Match Reports


29 December 2022

Mark Hughes’ Bantams returned to winning ways, beating Harrogate Town 1-0 at the University of Bradford Stadium.

Tyreik Wright’s strike inside the opening minute ensured all three points for City, in their final game of 2022, to take them back into the Sky Bet League Two play-off spots.

City’s start to the game could not have been any better. With just 52 seconds on the clock, Brad Halliday did well to pick out Wright down the right-hand side. He cut inside and smashed his effort past Pete Jameson in the Harrogate net.

As the first half progressed, City looked to carry the momentum from their early goal. Halliday created space on the right and played in Harry Chapman who asked questions of the Harrogate defence, but they were well matched to his effort.

City continued to apply the pressure on Harrogate as they went in search of their second goal. A neat short corner routine almost caught the visitors out, but their backline managed to scramble the ball clear.

Simon Weaver's side grew into the encounter with a few half chances, but their evening was almost made more difficult when Joe Mattock went in late on Vadaine Oliver, requiring City’s No.19 to receive treatment, and seeing Mattock booked. 

With 10 minutes left of the first half, it appeared City had managed to double their advantage. Romoney Crichlow tried his luck with a shot from range towards Jameson, who could only parry the effort into the path of Wright.

He latched onto the loose ball and tapped into the empty net for what would have been his brace, however City’s celebrations ended abruptly when the assistant referee's flag was raised for offside. 

As the fourth official indicated a minimum of three minutes added time, City continued to press. Chapman and Vadaine Oliver both tested Jameson but it was not enough as they went into the break with a one-goal advantage.

As the second half commenced, Harrogate looked for an immediate response. Jack Muldoon picked out Luke Armstrong in space who hit an effort towards the City net. Harry Lewis did well to get down to his right and push the strike away for a corner.

City controlled the remainder of the game as they looked to extend their advantage. In the closing stages, both Halliday and substitute Abo Eisa tested Jameson from distance but could not find the second goal.

Five minutes of stoppage time was added which left a final chance for Andy Cook. He was played in behind by Richie Smallwood and struck an effort towards goal, which rolled inches wide of the post. 

Ross Joyce blew the whistle to call full-time, with Wright’s 52nd-second goal enough to claim all three points for the Bantams.

CITY: Harry Lewis (GK), Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (c) , Alex Giliead, Matty Foulds, Levi Sutton (Abo Eisa 67’), Vadaine Oliver (Andy Cook 74’), Harry Chapman (Yann Songo’o 83’), Romoney Crichlow, Tyreik Wright. Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Timi Odusina, Dion Pereira, Ryan East.

HARROGATE: Pete Jameson (GK), Joe Mattock, Josh Falkingham (c) (Alex Pattison 41’), Warren Burrell, George Thomson, Sam Folarin (Max Wright 74’), Jaheim Headley (Tyler Frost 77’), Josh Austerfield, Jack Muldoon, Kayne Ramsay, Luke Armstrong. Subs not used: Harvey Giles (GK), Miles Welch-Hayes, George Horbury, Dior Angus.

GOALS: Wright (1’). 

ATTENDANCE: 17,056 (485 Harrogate supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact