Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 December 2022

Match Reports


26 December 2022

City’s return to Sky Bet League Two action ended in defeat on Boxing Day, as Mark Hughes’ Bantams left Carlisle United empty handed with a 1-0 loss. 

Paul Huntington’s header just after the half-hour mark gave the Cumbrians the lead, as Harry Lewis superbly denied the hosts on multiple occasions to keep the scoreline narrow.

The Bantams found their confidence in the second period where Andy Cook and Harry Chapman missed chances to level the game for City, leaving the Cumbrians to take all three points at Brunton Park. 

Both sides enjoyed a fair share of possession early on, but the first chance of the game fell the way of the hosts. Jon Mellish broke through the Bantams’ defence and saw his shot well stopped by Lewis.

The City No.1 was called into action again moments later when the hosts came forward with more tempo. Callum Guy sent an audacious effort goalwards from 20 yards out, but Lewis was on hand to tip the shot over the bar for a corner. 

Lewis produced another fantastic stop from the resulting set-piece to keep the game level, as Morgan Feeney’s reactionary shot from close range was expertly parried. 

The hosts continued to mount pressure on City’s defence and broke the deadlock just after the half-hour mark. Huntington reacted quickest to Taylor Charters’ corner and nodded home at the far post to give the hosts the lead.

Hughes' side fought hard to avoid going into the break behind. Harry Chapman’s lob looked to catch out Carlisle ‘keeper Tomas Holy but the effort was too high, as the hosts saw out the remainder of the first half.

The visitors began the second period on the immediate front foot, as Chapman’s whipped cross reached Cook on the edge of the six-yard box, but City's No.9 could only direct his header just wide of the post.

The hosts did remain a threat on the break, as minutes later Mellish ventured forward from defence and his cut-back found Jordan Gibson in acres of space in the box, but his effort was hooked over the bar.

With the game open and both sides committing bodies forward, Tyreik Wright benefited from space ahead of him and found Cook, but after taking a touch, he angled his shot just wide of Holy's net.

Cook had another opportunity to level the game just before the 70th minute. Richie Smallwood’s deep cross was swung to the far post for the Bantams' top goal-scorer, who glanced a header agonistically wide. 

The Bantams enjoyed more control in the second half, creating several chances to level the game, but were frustrated by the hosts who ensured City travelled back to West Yorkshire empty handed.

CARLISLE: Tomas Holy (GK), Jack Armer, Owen Moxon, Morgan Feeney (C), Paul Huntington, Jordan Gibson, Callum Guy, Taylor Charters, Jack Ellis, Jon Mellish, Jack Stretton (Kristian Dennis). Subs not used: Mick Kelly, Sonny Hilton, Tobi Sho-Silva, Corey Whelan, Jamie Devitt, Jayden Harris.

GOALS: Huntington (34').

CITY: Harry Lewis (GK), Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (Levi Sutton 78') , Andy Cook, Alex Gilliead, Matty Foulds, Harry Chapman (booked 58', Scott Banks 78'), Romoney Crichlow, Abo Eisa (Vadaine Oliver 72'), Tyreik Wright (booked 86'). Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Yann Songo’o, Timi Odusina, Dion Periera.

ATTENDANCE: 8,296 (1,314 City supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact