Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 February 2022

Match Reports


26 February 2022

The Bantams were beaten in Mark Hughes' first game as manager, losing 2-0 at home to high-flying Mansfield Town.

Goals either side of half-time from Rhys Oates and Matty Longstaff condemned the Bantams to defeat at the Utilita Energy Stadium - just two days after Hughes was appointed on Thursday morning.

In front of a bumper Valley Parade crowd which welcomed the Welshman, the first opportunity of the contest fell to the visitors when Jamie Murphy struck the outside of the post from close range.

The Bantams’ first effort on goal came when the ball fell to Theo Robinson on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot was easily gathered by Nathan Bishop.

The hosts then threatened again when Elliot Watt’s free-kick was glanced just wide of the post by City skipper Paudie O’Connor.

Levi Sutton then put a dangerous ball across goal but Robinson was unable to get a touch to turn it goalwards.

The Bantams went close again just before the half hour mark when Andy Cook worked space for himself to get a shot away but his effort was kept out at the near post.

After increasing Bantams pressure, it was the Stags who hit the front just before the interval, taking a lead into the half-time break.

Rhys Oates broke in behind the City defence and unleashed a left-footed effort which found the top corner of the net.

Nigel Clough’s men doubled their advantage shortly after the restart when Oates laid the ball off to Longstaff inside the 18-yard box.

He made no mistake in slotting the ball past City goalkeeper Alex Bass, with the aid of a wicked deflection which left the Bantams stopper helpless.

The East Midlands outfit nearly went further in front when George Maris found Stephen Quinn but his attempt was denied by Bass. 

Hughes’ side then had an opportunity to get themselves back into the contest but O’Connor’s goalbound header was saved by Bishop. 

The Bantams threatened again when Matty Foulds’ cross from the left-hand side was headed over the bar by Cook.

It was substitute Gareth Evans’ turn to put a dangerous cross into the area which picked out Cook who this time hit the target, but was denied by Bishop as the Stags were able to see the game out and pick up all three points.

CITY: Alex Bass (GK); Luke Hendrie, Paudie O’Connor, Yann Songo’o, Matthew Foulds; Alex Gilliead, Elliot Watt, Levi Sutton (Gareth Evans 75’), Matty Daly (Callum Cooke 60’); Theo Robinson (Caolan Lavery 75’), Andy Cook. SUBS (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Fiacre Kelleher, Nathan Delfouneso.

MANSFIELD: Nathan Bishop; Elliott Hewitt, Farrend Rawson, Stephen McLaughlin ©️ (booked 65’), Matty Longstaff; Jamie Murphy, Stephen Quinn (booked 21’) (Kieran Wallace 80’), George Maris (George Lapsile 69’) (booked 90+2’), Rhys Oates (Jordan Bowery 86’); Ryan Stirk (booked 67’), Lucas Akins. SUBS (not used): Marek Stech, James Perch, Danny Johnson, Ollie Clarke, Jordan Bowery.

GOALS: Rhys Oates (44’), Matty Longstaff (48’).

REFEREE: Andrew Kitchen. 

ATTENDANCE: 16,797 (including 2,129 Mansfield supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact