Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 January 2022

Match Reports


1 January 2022

City began 2022 victorious at Holker Street, beating Barrow 2-1 in their first outing for three weeks.

The Bantams scored early in both halves to seal victory in Cumbria on New Year’s Day - as Andy Cook netted on his return to the starting XI. 

City looked dangerous from the off, hitting the back of the net inside the first 10 minutes.

Alex Gilliead twisted and turned to find the run of Lee Angol, who dinked the ball over Paul Farman to score his side's first goal of the calendar year.

Remeao Hutton created the Bluebirds’ first opportunities of the game with a pair of impressive crosses - the first of which just evaded Patrick Brough at the back post and the second forced Sam Hornby into action to tip the ball over. 

The returning Cook - starting his first game since October having missed out through injury - earned space in the box after fighting off his marker and found Gilliead in the box, but the winger was unable to steer an effort goalward and his penalty shout was dismissed. 

Barrow came close to capitalising on a period of dominance just before the break, as Josh Gordon picked the ball up wide and weaved his way into the box, but City’s No.13 was equal to the shot and the half ended with the visitors in front.

City began the second half the way they did the first. Top goal-scorer Cook notched his eighth of the season after rounding the goalkeeper, slotting the ball into an empty net to top off great work from Gilliead to keep the ball in play on the byline. 

The Bluebirds hit back swiftly. Tom Beadling’s long-range strike troubled Hornby before the resulting corner saw Josh Gordon head past the City stopper. 

Gordon could have doubled his tally minutes after his first when Josh Kay fizzed the ball across the box, but the striker missed the ball completely which allowed Liam Ridehalgh to prevent Connor Brown from levelling at the back post.

The hosts had the ball in the back of the net as the game entered its final quarter, but Sam Hornby was adjudged to have been fouled and the goal was chalked off.

Despite late pressure from the hosts, Derek Adams' men stood firm and defended resiliently to ensure they took all three points. 

BARROW: Paul Farman; Connor Brown © (booked 53’, Jordan Stevens 69’), Patrick Brough, Matt Platt, Josh Kay (booked 89’, Mark Ellis 90’); Josh Gordon, Tom White, Tom Beadling (Dimitri Sea 57’), Remeao Hutton; Festus Arthur, Ollie Banks. SUBS (not used): Josh Lillis, Jason Taylor, Luke James. 

GOALS: Josh Gordon (52’). 

CITY: Sam Hornby; Oscar Threlkeld, Liam Ridehalgh, Paudie O’Connor ©, Yann Songo’o (Matty Foulds 77’); Callum Cooke (booked 90+6’), Andy Cook (booked 54’, Levi Sutton 70’), Alex Gilliead, Fiacre Kelleher; Elliot Watt, Lee Angol (Theo Robinson 79’). SUBS (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Charles Vernam, Finn Cousin-Dawson, Caolan Lavery. 

GOALS: Lee Angol (7’), Andy Cook (49’). 

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge. 

ATTENDANCE: 3,463 (644 visitors). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact