Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 March 2022

Match Reports


15 March 2022

The Bantams picked up back-to-back victories for the first time since August, with a 2-0 triumph at Hartlepool United.

Second-half goals from Matty Foulds and Yann Songo'o made it consecutive away victories for Mark Hughes' men at the Suit Direct Stadium. 

An end-to-end opening 10 minutes offered half-chances to both sides as they figured each other out, with Callum Cooke’s 20-yard strike coming closest to breaking the deadlock.

Shortly after Cooke’s effort, the other goal-scorer from the weekend went even closer. Matty Foulds’ looping cross found Andy Cook in the centre, but his header was matched by Ben Killip.

The thrilling start to the game continued when Luke Molyneux unlocked the City defence with a ball through to Marcus Carver, but the January signing was unable to get his first Pools goal as Alex Bass got down quickly to keep it out.

The final chance of the half came in the form of another long-range effort from Cooke. His strike tested Killip, but Pools’ No.1 gathered it at the second time of asking and the first period ended goalless.

City looked to pick up where they left off after the restart, and probably should have broken the deadlock early on.

A tenacious run from Foulds earned him time in the box to pick out Cook, but his effort was spurned over. 

A superb strike from Pools captain Nicky Featherstone required Bass to be at full stretch to preserve his clean sheet, tipping it onto the crossbar before it bounced out for a corner.

It took until the 70th minute for the first goal to come, and it fell City's way after a well-worked move. 

Levi Sutton shrugged off his marker in the middle of the park before finding Callum Cooke. After a few step-overs, the midfielder threaded the ball through to the underlapping Foulds who curled it inside the far post to send the travelling supporters into raptures.

The Monkey Hangers looked for an immediate response, and might have got one had it not been for former Pools man Luke Hendrie, who threw himself in front of Carver’s effort.

Just a matter of minutes after Foulds’ opener another defender turned goal-scorer, Songo’o rose highest to flick a corner home, from the front post into the back, and double City's advantage. 

The second goal proved to be the killer blow as Pools had no response, with City dominating possession in the final 15 minutes to secure their second win in as many games.

HARTLEPOOL: Ben Killip (GK); Jamie Sterry, Neill Byrne, Timi Odusina (booked 81’), David Ferguson; Nicky Featherstone ©, Martin Smith (Tom Crawford 87’), Joe White, Luke Molyneux; Joe Grey (Isaac Fletcher 66’), Marcus Carver (Omar Bogle 77’). SUBS (not used): Nicholas Bilokapic (GK), Gary Liddle, Reagan Ogle, Zaine Francis-Angol.

CITY: Alex Bass (GK); Paudie O’Connor ©, Yann Songo’o, Callum Cooke, Andy Cook; Matty Foulds, Gareth Evans (Nathan Delfouneso 67’), Elliot Watt (Jamie Walker 76’), Levi Sutton; Luke Hendrie, Dion Pereira (Caolan Lavery 83’, booked 87’). SUBS (not used): Richard O’Donnell (GK), Oscar Threlkeld, Fiacre Kelleher, Theo Robinson.

GOALS: Matty Foulds (70’), Yann Songo’o (76’). 

REFEREE: Jeremy Simpson. 

ATTENDANCE: 5,106 (including 693 City supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact