Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 March 2022

Match Reports


12 March 2022

Mark Hughes earned his first win as City manager - with a hard-fought 2-0 victory at Sky Bet League Two leaders Forest Green Rovers.

Second-half goals from Callum Cooke and Andy Cook ensured the Bantams took all three points from the New Lawn, for the first time ever.

The first-half proved a cagey affair, with chances falling for both sides but nothing extremely clear cut.

Yann Songo’o was firstly forced to head the ball into touch when a dangerous cross from Nicky Cadden sought out Matty Stevens. Jamille Matt connected with the resulting corner and sent the ball goalward, but Luke Hendrie was alert to head it off the line.

Gareth Evans had City’s first chance of the game just shy of the half-hour mark, sneaking into the box to receive the ball, but his effort was blocked wide.

Alex Bass’ fingertips denied Dan Sweeney from opening the scoring after a dangerous corner found the centre-back in space shortly after.

Paudie O’Connor was responsible for the Bantams’ first effort on goal when he rose highest to meet Callum Cooke’s corner, but his looping header did not trouble Luke McGee and the sides finished the half level.

City began the second period brightly. Debutant Dion Pereira found himself one-on-one with Luke McGee as he carried the ball in from the wing, but his shot swerved just past the far post.

The Greens came back with intent, creating their best chance of the game immediately after when Nicky Cadden forced an athletic save from Bass who conceded a corner.

City hit the front just after the hour when Matty Foulds’ marauding run down the wing opened up the angle for a cross.

The full-back's delivery was cleared as far as Callum Cooke - who struck a half-volley past the despairing dive of Luke McGee, with the aid of a deflection. 

Forest Green got the chance to respond straight away, and it fell to none other than top goal-scorer Matt, but the Rovers captain headed straight into Bass’ hands from point-blank range.

Udoka Godwin-Malife then received his marching orders for a heavy challenge on the returning Jamie Walker, earning himself his second yellow card of the afternoon.

With time running out and the Bantams edging closer to victory, Andy Cook made sure of Mark Hughes’ first victory in charge of City after the Bantams cleared a corner which McGee had gone forward for.

Cook raced onto Jamie Walker's punt upfield to stroke into the empty net and jump into the raucous away end to celebrate. 

FGR: Luke McGee; Kane Wilson, Dan Sweeney (Jake Young 89’), Baily Cargill, Ebou Adams; Matty Stevens (Josh March 89’), Jack Aitchison (Kasey McAteer 71’), Nicky Cadden, Jamille Matt ©; Jordan Moore-Taylor, Udoka Godwin-Malife (booked 65’, dismissed 76’). SUBS (not used): Lewis Thomas, Ben Stevenson, Regan Hendry, Sadou Diallo. 

CITY: Alex Bass; Paudie O’Connor ©, Yann Songo’o, Callum Cooke (Caolan Lavery 90+5’), Andy Cook; Alex Gilliead (Levi Sutton 63’), Matty Foulds, Gareth Evans (booked 81’), Elliot Watt; Luke Hendrie, Dion Pereira (Jamie Walker 63’). SUBS (not used): Richard O’Donnell, Oscar Threlkeld, Fiacre Kelleher, Nathan Delfouneso. 

GOALS: Callum Cooke (63’), Andy Cook (90+4’). 

REFEREE: Ollie Yates. 

ATTENDANCE: 3,339 (including 599 City supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact