Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 November 2022

Match Reports


23 November 2022

Sponsored by

Ryan Farrell’s young City side booked their place the third round of the FA Youth Cup, with a penalty shoot-out victory over Chester Under-18s. 

Issac Robinson’s penalty cancelled out Ben Croft’s opener, as neither side could find a winner in normal time, sending the game to extra-time and penalties at the Deva Stadium. 

After Joe Nelson sent his spot-kick over, the young Bantams kept their cool to confirm an exciting trip to category-one giants Chelsea.

On a night where both sides had their eyes set on the third round, it was City who started the stronger.

Freddy Jeffreys, who scored a last-gasp winner in the first round against Morecambe, saw a powerful half-volley well stopped from the home ’keeper.

The young midfielder came close again, moments later, with his arrowed shot well kept out by Joe Beswick.

Despite the bright start from City, it was the hosts who took the lead. Ben Croft was allowed space on the right of the area and bent his shot past Thomas Myles in the Bantams’ net.

Just like at the Mazuma Stadium, though, Farrell’s young side were not behind long.

Chester’s Adam Bott was adjudged to have bought down Ali Dalghous inside the area, and up stepped Robinson, who cooly slotted to the left of the 'keeper’s net to equalise.

The Bantams kept the Seals stopper busy for the remainder of the first-half, but entered the break level. 

Donald Kamwa dragged a low shot just wide of Beswick’s net, moments before Jay Tinsdale’s effort found its way through a wall of Chester defenders, but was parried by Chester’s young No.1.

The visitors immediately started the second half how the they ended the first, as Jeffreys’ through ball found the on-running Keke Jeffers in space, but after rounding the Seals stopper, he saw his effort hooked off the line by Joe Nelson. 

Jeffers controlled Robinson’s inviting long ball excellently and looked to cut back to Mo Sedibeh, but the second-half substitute's effort was crucially blocked by Bott. 

Farell’s side threatened late on, as Freddy Jeffreys was sent through one-on-one with Beswick, but Chester’s keeper did well to close down the young City playmaker, sending the game to extra-time.

The first period saw the Bantams began the brighter of the two sides. Robinson slotted in frontman Jeffers, but his side-footed effort, destined for the bottom corner, was parried clear by Beswick, moments before he agonisingly lifted a shot just wide of the target.

Chester looked to have stolen it late on, as Reece Daly’s free-kick cannoned off the crossbar, as neither side could find a winner, taking the game to spot-kicks.

The young Bantams held their composure in the shoot-out, as Jay Nelson sent the deciding penalty over to dramatically see City advance. 

CHESTER: Joe Beswick, Sol Forde, Joe Nelson, Adam Bott, Regan Daly, Sol Ashworth (C), Ben Croft, Sam Bradley, Harry Griffiths, Reece Daly, Paige Wilding (Oliver Bavington 67’). Subs not used: Billy Davies, Dan Collins, Ellis Challinor, Max Cooke, Joshua Maris.

GOALS: Croft (17’). 

PENS: Regan Daly (scored), Griffiths (saved), Maris (scored), Bavington (missed), Forde (missed) Nelson (missed). 

CITY: Thomas Myles, Dylan Wilkinson, Ali Dalghous, Freddy Jeffreys, Noah Wadsworth (C), Casey Breaks, Issac Robinson, Keke Jeffers, Jay Tinsdale, Donald Kamwa, Nathan Tinsdale. Subs not used: Zac Hadi, Ian Kamga, Gabe Wadsworth, Mahamadou Sedibeh, Harry Ibbitson, Leon Brooks, Max Murray

GOALS: Robinson (26’ pen). 

PENALTIES: Jeffers (missed), Robinson (scored), Myles (scored), Jefferys (missed), Wadsworth (scored), Dalghous (scored). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact