Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 October 2022

Match Reports


29 October 2022

Mark Hughes’ Bantams were held at the University of Bradford Stadium, as City drew 1-1 with Crawley Town in Sky Bet League Two.

The hosts opened the scoring through Dion Pereira in the second half, though his deft chip over Ellery Balcombe was cancelled out by James Tilley's free-kick.

It was City that started the stronger of the two sides. Harry Chapman darted through the Red Devils’ defence to slot in top goal-scorer Andy Cook, who was unable to convert, sending the opportunity wide.

The Bantams’ chances started to flow throughout the first half, as Pereira was next to test Crawley’s backline.

After he was fed the ball from Chapman on the right, the Luton Town loanee took on Tony Craig and drilled a right-footed shot towards goal, but it was well kept out by Balcombe.

The visitors grew into the game, however, and on the half-hour mark challenged Harry Lewis. A lifted cross from Nick Tsaroulla found Tom Nichols with space in the area but his header was held by City’s No.1, moments before Ashley Nadesan saw his shot from a tight angle saved.

The Bantams pressed in search of the game’s opener as half-time approached, as Tyreik Wright burst through on goal, but his drilled effort was comfortably saved by Balcombe, to ensure the game remained goalless at the interval. 

City dictated the opening stages of the second half as Cook’s cut-back found Pereira who saw his powerful effort deflected behind for a corner. 

It was the Bantams' No.26 who would deservedly break the deadlock for the hosts, moments after.

A bright counter from City was led by Wright and he placed a delicate through ball for Pereira, who one-on-one with Balcombe, delightfully chipped the ball over the Red Devils’ ‘keeper to give City the lead.

The goal marked his first of the campaign since his return to the University of Bradford Stadium, after an assist against Swindon Town on Tuesday.

The Bantams' lead, however, did not last long. Alex Gilliead brought down Tom Nichols on the edge of the area, and James Tilley converted the free-kick to bring the visitors back in the game.

Hughes' side kept pushing for the winner as the clock ticked on.

Scott Banks reacted quickest to Matty Platt’s headed pass but was denied by Balcombe, minutes before Chapman curled an effort just wide of Crawley’s net.

City continued to hunt for the all-important second goal deep into stoppage time, but were unsuccessful as the visitors took a point back to West Sussex.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood, Andy Cook (Vadaine Oliver 74’), Alex Gilliead, Matty Foulds, Harry Chapman, Romoney Crichlow, Dion Pereira (Scott Banks 74’), Tyreik Wright. Subs Not Used: Colin Doyle, Yann Songo’o, Lee Angol, Timi Odusina, Ryan East.

GOALS: Dion Pereira (55’).

CRAWLEY: Ellery Balcombe, George Francomb, Tony Craig, James Tilley (Teddy Jenks 68’), Jack Powell, Tom Nichols, Ashley Nadesan, Ludwig Francillette, Nick Tsaroulla (Tom Fellows 59’), Jake Hessenthaler, Mazeed Ogungbo (Dom Telford 81’). Subs Not Used: David Robson, Harry Ransom, Aramide Oteh, Rafiq Khaleel.

GOALS: James Tilley (61’).

Attendance: 16,510 (127 from Crawley).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact