Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 October 2022

Match Reports


22 October 2022

The Bantams extended their unbeaten streak away from home in Sky Bet League Two to six matches, with a 0-0 draw at Grimsby Town.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock in what was frantic, end-to-end encounter at Blundell Park, though the spoils were shared.

The first opportunity in Lincolnshire came for the visitors, as Harry Chapman was sent through on goal, but was intercepted by Andy Smith. 

Hughes’ side came closest in the first half on 15 minutes with a flourish of chances. Tyreik Wright’s ball for Andy Cook was cut out by Mariners skipper Luke Waterfall. The deflection fell as far as Chapman but his right-footed shot was sent behind for a corner.

Smallwood’s resulting delivery perfectly found the head of Cook but his effort was cleared off the line.

Grimsby responded and came close on the 25th minute. Waterfall found Kieran Green on the edge of the area, who saw his thunderous shot crash against the post.

Dion Pereira was next to ask questions of Grimsby, as the Luton Town loanee cut inside but sent his effort wide of Max Crocombe’s goal.

As the pace of the game slowed towards the end of the half, City were desperate to take advantage and go into the break in the lead.

An inviting ball from Matty Foulds to Cook at the far post was well brought down and shifted to Wright, who was unmarked in the middle but marked offside.

The first chance of the second period, and the closest City came, arose as Richie Smallwood’s corner found Chapman.

He saw his effort deflect before being tipped onto the post by Crocombe. Dion Pereira could not convert the rebound, but was flagged offside. 

Moments later, the Mariners thought they had broken the deadlock. Anthony Glennon’s ball found Ryan Taylor’s head, but Harry Lewis was on hand to superbly stop Grimsby’s No.29.

Both sides came forward in search an opener just after 75 minutes. Gavan Holohan poked an effort wide before Lee Angol’s attempted chip bounced behind Crocombe’s goal.

City’s No.1 was called upon again, as Lewis Richardson, with his first kick off the game, struck a shot towards Lewis’ net who stopped the Mariners substitute.

The visitors were forced to defend for the remainder of the game as Paul Hurst’s second-half introductions seemed to freshen up Grimsby’s play.

With a minute remaining in normal time, the Bantams went close to taking all three points back to BD8. Foulds' cross found Levi Sutton but his header looped over for a corner.

Hughes’ men kept pushing into injury time, as Ryan East injected energy from the bench and sent an inviting ball into the danger area, but his cross evaded everyone in a claret and amber shirt.

An injury-time free kick from Tyreik Wright picked out Matty Platt, whose header across goal found Alex Gilliead, but time had ran out for the City as the referee blew for full-time.

GRIMSBY: Max Crocombe, Michee’ Efete, Anthony Glennon, Kieran Green, Luke Waterfall (C), Gavin Holohan (Lewis Richardson 79’), Otis Khan (Jordan Maguire-Drew 88’), Harry Clifton, Andy Smith, Brendan Kiernan (Brynn Morris 46’), Ryan Taylor. Subs Not Used: Niall Maher, Alex Hunt, Lewis Richardson, Danilo Orsi, Keyendrah Symonds. 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood, Andy Cook (Ryan East 83’), Alex Gilliead, Matty Foulds, Tyreik Wright, Harry Chapman (Levi Sutton 71’), Romoney Crichlow, Dion Pereira (Lee Angol 54’). Subs Not Used: Colin Doyle, Yann Songo’o, Kian Harratt, Vadaine Oliver.

ATTENDANCE: 8,020 (1,223 City supporters). 

REFEREE: Andy Haines (Tyne and Wear). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact