Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 October 2022

Match Reports


1 October 2022

Mark Hughes’ Bantams extended their unbeaten run in Sky Bet League Two to seven matches, beating Yorkshire neighbours Harrogate Town 2-1. 

Andy Cook’s 12th goal of the season from the penalty spot and Tyreik Wright’s second-half chip secured all three points for City, who have now won three-straight matches on the road.

Playing in their black-and-white away strip for the first time competitively, City started the strongest.

Dion Pereira latched onto Harry Chapman’s through ball, and cut inside, but his right-footed shot sailed over Pete Jameson’s net.

The Luton Town loanee threatened once again moments later, but his deflected effort dropped just wide of the target.

The visitors had much of the possession in the opening stages at the EnviroVent Stadium. Chapman, after five minutes, tested the hosts’ net once more, as his shot was curled over.

After 15 minutes, the Bantams made their dominance count as Harry Chapman, who daintily drove into Town’s box, drew a foul from Kayne Ramsey and earned Hughes’ side a spot-kick.

On hand, was City’s top goal-scorer Cook, who coolly slotted past Jameson to net his 12th of the season and ninth in Sky Bet League Two.

The North Yorkshire outfit came back on the offensive in search of an equaliser. Muldoon’s inviting cut-back to Armstrong was forked away by Romoney Crichlow.

From the resulting clearance, Josh Austerfield’s effort was hammered over the bar, as the Sulphurites' time in attacking areas rarely questioned Hughes’ side.

Simon Weaver’s men continued to flow forwards for the remainder of the first half. Alex Pattison and Sam Folarin linked up well to release Pattison, who’s low, driven cross was cut out by City.

Harrogate ended the first half much the stronger of the two sides, and made sure they started the second in the same way.

Jaheim Headley, just after the restart, took advantage of the space ahead of him, and cannoned a shot past Lewis to equalise for the hosts.

As rain started to hammer down at Wetherby Road, as did the Bantams’ chances as the looked to get their noses back in front. Cook reacted quickest to a loose ball, but the lay-off for Lee Angol was intercepted by Folarin.

Minutes later, Cook’s snapshot, after Harrogate failed to clear Matty Foulds’ cross, trickled wide of Jameson net.

The visitors ramped up their tempo with 20 minutes remaining, in search of a winner. Richie Smallwood’s free-kick heading for the right corner was well stopped by the Sulphurites ‘stopper.

Just after the 70th minute, City were rewarded for their renewed attacking intent as a sharp counter-attack, started by Brad Halliday, found Lee Angol with acres of space in Harrogate’s half.

The second-half substitute threaded the ball through beautifully to Tyreik Wright whose composed finish was lifted over Jameson to put Hughes' men back in front, with his second goal in as many City games.

The hosts did attempt to spoil City’s joy late-on. Armstrong found the ball in the back of net, but was rightly judged to be offside.

Hughes’ men saw out the game well, sending the joyful 600 travelling Bantams back to West Yorkshire happy. 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (C), Andy Cook (Vadaine Oliver 79’), Alex Gilliead (booked 53’, Yann Songo’o 79’), Matty Foulds, Harry Chapman (Lee Angol 59’), Romoney Crichlow, Dion Pereira (Levi Sutton 59’), Tyreik Wright. SUBS NOT USED: Colin Doyle, Yann Songo’o, Lee Angol, Timi Odusina, Levi Sutton, Vadaine Oliver, Jake Young. 

GOALS: Cook (15’), Wright (73’). 

HARROGATE: Pete Jameson, Joe Mattock, Sam Folarin (Josh Coley 57’), Jaheim Headley, Alex Pattison (C), Josh Austerfield, Jack Muldoon, Kayne Ramsay, Rory McArdle, Matty Daly, Luke Armstrong. SUBS NOT USED: Mark Oxley, Miles Welch-Hayes, Josh Falkingham, Warren Burrell, Josh Coley, Lewis Richards, Stephen Dooley. 

GOALS: Headley (51’). 

ATTENDANCE: 2,505 (600 City supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact