Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 October 2022

Match Reports


26 October 2022

City’s Under-18s progressed to the second round of the FA Youth Cup, coming from behind to beat Morecambe 2-1 at the Mazuma Stadium.

Jay Tinsdale cancelled out Callum Sandle’s early second-half goal, before a Freddy Jeffreys injury-time stunner from 25 yards out booked his side's place in round two. 

It was a cagey start to the cup tie in the early exchanges, with both sides battling for control over the game.

The hosts had the first big chance. Saul Fox-Akande burst through one on one with Thomas Myles in the City net, rounded the 'keeper and hit it towards goal, but Dylan Wilkinson was on hand to deny him and clear away.

Isaac Robinson had the first opportunity for the young Bantams, from a cleared corner. Robinson collected the ball on the edge of the area and hit a half-volley towards goal, but the ball flew a few feet over the bar.

Ryan Farrell’s side started to gain control of the game towards the end of the first half. A well-worked move found Jay Tinsdale in the box, who cut inside and curled towards the far corner.

His effort was tipped brilliantly onto the post by George Pedley, and bounced out to Donald Kamwa who could not hit the target.

Just after the restart, Morecambe took the lead. A deep free-kick swung into the box was spilled by stopper Myles, dropping to Sandle who smashed home from close range. 

City were soon back into the game, however, drawing level within seven minutes.

Robinson found space in behind and pulled back for Jay Tinsdale who made no mistake and got the young Bantams back on terms.

The visitors started to pressure their opponents more and were unlucky not to net for a second time. Nathan Tinsdale did well to win the ball in the box and pulled across for Jeffers whose first effort was blocked before the ball rebounded to him, but he dragged his second well wide.

The young Bantams found themselves unlucky again as pressure continued to build. Nathan Tinsdale came close to giving his side a second when he latched onto a cross from the left but flicked his header over the bar.

The Shrimps came close to nicking it late on as Leyton Holden found room and headed towards goal from close range, but directed it over the bar.

As the game looked destined to head to extra-time, City snatched the victory to send them through to round two, in sensational fashion.

Jeffreys picked the ball up 25 yards from goal in injury time, and sent a swerving shot towards goal which dipped straight into the top corner to cue scenes of mass jubilation among the visiting players.

CITY: Thomas Myles, Dylan Wilkinson (Max Murray 54'), Ali Dalghous, Freddy Jeffreys, Noah Wadsworth, Casey Breaks (Leon Brooks 90+5'), Isaac Robinson, Nathan Tinsdale, Rakealan Jeffers, Jay Tinsdale (Harry Ibbitson 82'), Donald Kamwa. SUBS NOT USED: Munro Gellan, Muhamadou Sedibeh, Bilal Hussain, Franklin Dennison.

GOALS: Tinsdale (56’), Jeffreys (90+2’). 

MORECAMBE: George Pedley, Ben Jarvis, Daniel Foden, Oliver Cooper (Lewis Ballantyne 78'), Leyton Holden, Louie Lancaster (Nathan Mercer 78'), Mani Davidson, Cameron Rooney, Saul Fox-Akande, Callum Sandle (Jack McKean 62'), Matthew Williams. SUBS NOT USED: Lennon Dobson, Sebastian Bolton, Vincent Wright, Andrew Evans.

GOALS: Sandle (49’). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact