Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


24 September 2022

Match Reports


24 September 2022

The Bantams remained unbeaten in Sky Bet League Two at the University of Bradford Stadium, as Vadaine Oliver's last-gasp header stole a late point against AFC Wimbledon. 

Oliver's 95th-minute effort added to Scott Banks' early free-kick, after Wimbledon had fought back in the second period to take the lead in the closing stages.

City dominated early spells of possession and were rewarded in the fourth minute after Dion Pereira was brought down on the edge of the box.

Scott Banks stepped up and sent an unstoppable effort past Nikola Tzanev in the Wimbledon net to put City in front, with his second goal in claret and amber.

The Bantams continued to apply pressure to the Wimbledon backline. Richie Smallwood’s deep corner found Matty Platt who did well to beat his man but headed his effort just wide.

The Dons grew into the encounter as the first half progressed. Ethan Chislett’s effort from a free-kick was blocked by Timi Odusina, before he struck a curling effort off the crossbar moments later.

Wimbledon continued to show their physicality and aggression in the opening stages of the second period, in search of an equalising goal. No.9 Josh Davison was allowed to turn in the area, but his shot rattled Harry Lewis’ post and bounced behind for a corner.

As the second half progressed, Johnnie Jackson’s side were rewarded for their efforts just before the hour mark.

City’s backline failed to deal with a cross which fell to Ayoub Assal, whose shot was palmed away by Harry Lewis only to find the feet of Harry Pell, who smashed into the roof of the net.

The Bantams looked to retake the lead for the second time and immediately came back on the offensive. Richie Smallwood stepped up to another free-kick, but saw his effort bounce back off the crossbar.

The Dons continued to remain a threat, however, and took the lead in the closing stages as Chislett struck a sweet free-kick of his own beyond Harry Lewis and in. 

Hughes’ side continued to battle despite finding themselves behind. The Welshman chose to introduce fresh legs in Lee Angol, Levi Sutton and Vadaine Oliver as City’s substitutions looked to provide an immediate impact.

This time it was the hosts' turn to apply the pressure. Lee Angol, who reacted quickest to Smallwood's deflected shot, could not direct his effort on target.

The Bantams were rewarded in the fifth minute of injury time, however, as Oliver netted his first for the club.

Matty Foulds sent a pinpoint ball into the area where City's towering frontman lay in wait to crash a header into the back of the net and preserve his side's six-game unbeaten run.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood, Andy Cook (Vadaine Oliver 77’), Alex Gilliead, Scott Banks (Lee Angol 60’), Matty Foulds, Timi Odusina, Luke Hendrie, Harry Chapman, Dion Pereira (Levi Sutton 60’). Subs not used: Colin Doyle (GK), Yann Songo’o, Kian Harratt, Jake Young. 

GOALS: Banks (4’), Oliver (90+5’). 

WIMBLEDON: Nikola Tzanev, Lee Brown, Will Nightingale, Harry Pell, Josh Davison (Kyle Hudlin 82’), Ayoub Assal, Ethan Chislett (George Marsh 88’), Alex Pearce (Ryley Towler 7’), Paris Maghoma, Jack Currie Issac Ogundere. Subs not used: Will Jääskeläinen (GK), Huseyin Biler, Quaine Bartley, Alfie Bendle.

GOALS: Pell (58’), Chislett (76’). 

ATTENDANCE: 17,186 (351 from Wimbledon). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact