Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 August 2023

Match Reports


15 August 2023

The Bantams were made to settle for a point, with a 1-1 draw at Stockport County. 

City were unable to bring all three points back over the Pennines despite taking the lead just after half-time, as an Andy Cook missed penalty late on saw them held to a draw. 

In a cagey opening, the first big chance of the game went the way of Stockport’s Will Collar, who got on the end of a searching ball in, but City stopper Harry Lewis was equal to it, making a good stop low to his left.

Both teams created half-chances in the first 45. City saw Cook head a Richie Smallwood corner onto the roof of the County net, while Stockport captain Paddy Madden sliced one wide from close range.

It had proved an even affair as the teams headed down the tunnel at the break.

However, City came flying out of the traps in the second period, and it did not take long for the deadlock to be broken.

In the 47th minute, Smallwood won the ball high up the field and played Cook down the right channel. He crossed low into Alex Pattison who smashed the ball under Hinchliffe in the County goal, to net his third goal in as many City games. 

Stockport responded in search of an equaliser, creating several opportunities to draw level, with Harry Lewis and the Bantams defence remaining firm. 

County would find that equaliser with just 10 minutes to go. After Lewis was equal to an initial header from a corner, the rebound would fall to substitute Isaac Olaofe who tapped home from close range.

Just a minute later, however, City were awarded a golden opportunity to retake the lead immediately, as they went up the other end and won a penalty.

Pattison was brought down just inside the box by Ibou Touray, and Cook stepped up, but saw his penalty saved low to the goalkeeper's right, by Ben Hinchliffe. 

Cook then had another chance to win the game in stoppage time when he was put through one on one with the County 'keeper. However, a heavy touch led the ball straight into Hinchliffe’s arms, and the Bantams were made to leave only with a share of the spoils. 

STOCKPORT: Ben Hinchliffe, Kyle Knoyle, Ibou Touray, Fraser Horsfall, Macauley Southam-Hales (Ollie Crankshaw 72’), Paddy Madden (C), Will Collar (Ryan Croasdale 84’), Ryan Rydel, Louie Barry, Connor Evans (Isaac Olaofe 64’), Cody Johnson. SUBS NOT USED: Jordan Smith, Akil Wright, Neill Byrne, Ethan Pye.

GOAL: Olaofe (80’). 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (C) (Emmanuel Osadebe 83’), Andy Cook, Alex Pattison, Alex Gilliead (Liam Ridehalgh 46’), Clarke Oduor (Kevin McDonald 73’), Tyler Smith (Matt Derbyshire 83’), Sam Stubbs, Ciarán Kelly, Dan Oyegoke. SUBS NOT USED: Colin Doyle, Brad Halliday, Bobby Pointon.

GOAL: Pattison (47’). 

ATTENDANCE: 9,296 (1,343 travelling City supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact