Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 December 2023

Match Reports


16 December 2023

Graham Alexander’s Bantams extended their winning run to five in all competitions after beating Gillingham 2-0 at the MEMS Priestfield Stadium.

Jamie Walker’s strike on the half-hour mark put the Bantams in the driving seat before an Andy Cook free-kick sealed back-to-back league wins and clean sheets on the road.

The encounter began in a lively manner, with both sides having efforts on goal inside the opening minute.

Connor Mahoney sliced a shot over Harry Lewis’ net moments before Brad Halliday was found in space on the right flank, but the full-back’s strike rolled wide.

Stephen Clemence’s side settled fast and almost edged in front just before the 15th-minute mark, if not for a super stop from Harry Lewis. 

Macauley Bonne reacted first to a Gills corner and sent a headed effort goalwards, but Lewis expertly and fantastically denied the former Charlton striker to keep the scores level.

Alexander’s men grew into the clash and by the half-hour mark, City found themselves in front.

After excellently intercepting Scott Malone, Alex Gilliead’s acute through-ball found Halliday, who then fizzed a low cross for Walker.

The Scot remained composed and tucked a low strike under Jake Turner to net his sixth of the season in all competitions.

Continuing to frustrate the hosts, City maintained pressure and might have been awarded a penalty, as Ciarán Kelly went down in the area, but referee Scott Jackson waved away the spot-kick cries, shortly before he blew his whistle for half-time.

The hosts’ search for an equaliser continued as the clock ticked over an hour, as three free-kicks in the space of five minutes tested the Bantams’ backline.

The final of the three set-pieces was met by skipper Max Ehmer, who evaded his marker, but could only loop his header over Lewis’ bar.

As the Gills committed more bodies forward, City made use of the counter attack, and went mightily close through Lewis Richards.

After being fed through by Walker, Richards aimed goalwards, but his powerful hit was blocked by Ehmer.

City’s sustained pressure paid off, as after a half-hour played in the second period, the Bantams made it two.

A free-kick on the edge of area was struck low and hard with ferocity by Cook, as the No.9 found the back of the net for the 10th time this campaign.

City comfortably saw out the remainder of the game, as Alexander’s men travel back to West Yorkshire and move to within three points of the play-off places.

GILLINGHAM: Jake Turner (GK), Conor Masterson (booked 59’), Max Ehmer (C), George Lapslie, Jonny Williams (Jayden Clarke 72’), Scott Malone, Robbie McKenzie, Ethan Coleman (Dom Jefferies 72’), Connor Mahoney, Tim Dieng, Macauley Bonne. Subs not used: Glenn Morris, Cheye Alexander, Tom Nichols, Oli Hawkins, Shad Ogie. 

CITY: Harry Lewis (GK), Brad Halliday, Matty Platt (booked 50’), Richie Smallwood (C), Jamie Walker, Andy Cook, Alex Gilliead (booked 52’), Tyler Smith (Vadaine Oliver 63’), Ciarán Kelly (booked 54’), Jonathan Tomkinson, Lewis Richards. Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Emmanuel Osadebe, Alex Pattison, Clarke Oduor, Sam Stubbs, Matt Derbyshire. 

GOALS: Walker (30’), Cook (75’).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact