Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 February 2023

Match Reports


14 February 2023

City went five games unbeaten on Valentine's Day, coasting to a 2-0 victory over Tranmere Rovers at the University of Bradford Stadium. 

After opening the scoring in a tight first half on 43 minutes, courtesy of Jamie Walker's deflected strike, Andy Cook's looping header then made sure of the points with 16 minutes to go - his 19th goal of the season. 

On a chilly Tuesday evening at Valley Parade, the Bantams named an unchanged starting 11 from Saturday's win at second-placed Stevenage.

It was Mark Hughes' men who started the brighter of the two teams, forcing several corners which were just about dealt with by the visiting defence. 

Tranmere caused little threat in the opening 30 minutes, sitting back and allowing City possession in their own half. Their main danger came from overlapping left-back Ethan Birstow who fizzed a few dangerous crossed across goal which Harry Lewis had to be alert to deal with. 

The Bantams continued to look for an opener which came just before the interval through Saturday's match-winner, Walker. 

Patient build-up play from the hosts saw the ball sprayed out to Liam Ridehalgh. He found Walker in the centre who hammered through the Tranmere goalkeeper - with the aid of a deflection - for his second goal in as many games. 

The first 15 minutes of the second half followed a similar vein to the first, with Tranmere sitting deep and City controlling the possession. 

The hosts almost doubled their lead just before the hour mark through a free-kick played in by Richie Smallwood. Sam Stubbs flicked on at the near post for Matty Platt who draw a save from Mateusz Hewelt, but the visiting defence scrambled clear.

Tranmere threw bodies forward in search of an equalising goal, and had their first chance 20 minutes into the second half, after a free-kick was played into the box and headed back out to Regan Hendry, who dragged his half-volley past the post.

City went back on the offensive to put the game to bed, and secured their second goal with 74 minutes played, through top scorer Cook.

Clayton swung another corner in which Cook rose to meet, looping a header over Hewelt and over the goal-line, just before it was hacked away by the Tranmere defender, for his third goal in three games. 

The Bantams held out for back-to-back victories, heading into another home fixture against Barrow this weekend. 

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Haliday, Liam Ridehalgh (Ciarn Kelly 75'), Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (C), Andy Cook (Vadaine Oliver 86'), Jamie Walker (Thierry Nevers 86'), Alex Gillhead, Matt Derbyshire (Abo Eisa 25'), Sam Stubbs, Adam Clayton. Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Ryan East, Harry Chapman.

GOALS: Jamie Walker (43') Andy Cook (74').

TRANMERE: Mateusz Hewelt, Josh Darces-Cogley, Ethan Birstow, Lee O`Connor, Tom Davies, Kieron Morris (Logan Chalmers 36'), Kane Hemmings (C) (Joel Mumbongo 62'), Josh Hawkes (Jay Turner-Cooke 62'), Kyle Jameson, Regan Hendry, Harvey Saunders. Subs not used: Joe Murphy, Chris Merrie, Paul Lewis, Jake Burton. 

ATTENDANCE: 15,482 (309 Tranmere supporters).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact