Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 January 2023

Match Reports


7 January 2023

Sponsored by

Ryan Farrell's battling young Bantams bowed out of the FA Youth Cup, with a 3-1 third-round defeat to Chelsea. 

Goals from Tudor Mendel-Idowu, skipper Leo Castledine and Zain Silcott-Duberry sealed victory for the Blues at Kingsmeadow, despite Isaac Robinson giving City hope with a sublime free-kick.

It was a spirited performance from Farrell’s side, who competed well for 90 minutes against category-one opposition.

Early into the contest, Mendel-Idowu latched onto an inswinging cross, but headed well wide of the far post at Chelsea looked to start on top. 

The young Bantams responded with a chance of their own. Keke Jeffers received the ball on the edge of the box, driving an effort narrowly wide into the side netting.

Chelsea upped their tempo and took the lead on 18 minutes. A cross from the right found Castledine who slotted past Thomas Myles to give the hosts the lead.

The Blues' advantage was soon doubled two minutes later. A quick counter attack saw Castledine turn provider. He fed Mendel-Idowu in one on one with City’s stopper, for him to round Myles and tapped home.

Myles was called into action again shortly after when Harrison Murray-Campbell burst through, but City’s No.1 got down well to deny him.

The spirited Bantams would soon get themselves back into the game, with their efforts rewarded as they halved the deficit on the half-hour mark.

Robinson stepped up to a free-kick on the edge of the area and sent an unstoppable effort curling into the top-left corner.

Just after the interval, Myles was tested again as the hosts came back out looking to reassert themselves.

The ball bounced through to Silcott-Duberry who attempted to place it beyond the young Bantams' 'keeper, but he again got down well to push the effort away.

Chelsea would increase their lead with the final goal of the game, with 20 minutes to go, when Michael Golding caught Myles out and played the ball across goal for Silcott-Duberry to tap home. 

Chances soon presented themselves for the visitors, who again went in search of a way back into the game, which was entering its closing stages.

A well-timed pass from Nathan Tinsdale found Robinson who surged through one on one and looked to place his effort past Ted Curd, but an outstretched leg from the Chelsea stopper denied him.

That proved to be the last real action of the game, as Chelsea held on through 10 minutes of added time, and City's FA Youth Cup journey came to an end. 

CHELSEA: 1. Ted Curd, 2. Harrison Murray-Campbell, 3. Travis Akomeh (Louis Flower 61'), 4. Brodi Hughes, 5. Somto Boniface, 6. Piano Dyer (booked 71'), 7. Tudor Mendel-Idowu, 8. Harrison McMahon, 9. Leo Castledine (c), 10. Michael Golding, 11. Zain Silcott-Duberry. Subs not used: Josh Acheampong, Max Merrick, Sam Rak-Sakyi, Reiss Russel-Denny, Leo Cardoso, Tyrique George. 

GOALS: Castledine (18'), Idowu (20'), Silcott-Duberry (69'). 

CITY: 1. Thomas Myles, 2. Casey Breaks, 3. Ian Kamga, 4. Nathan Tinsdale, 5. Sam Bentley, 6. Noah Wadsworth (c), 7. Isaac Robinson, 9. Keke Jeffers, 10. Donald Kamwa, 11. Jay Tinsdale, 19. Gabe Wadsworth. Subs not used: Munro Gellan, Ali Dalghous, Harry Ibbitson, Dylan Wilkinson, Finley Gledhill, Leon Brooks, James Edgley. 

GOALS: Robinson (31'). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact