Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


22 July 2023

Match Reports


22 July 2023

Mark Hughes' Bantams secured a late, deserved 1-1 draw at the University of Bradford Stadium, against Sky Bet Championship side Hull City.

In a competitive encounter, Hull took the lead against the run of play, before Sam Stubbs rescued a goal for City in the final minute. 

It was a strong start from the Bantams, who controlled the opening 20 minutes. Ryan East's set-piece delivery was my by Ash Taylor, who headed across goal for Daniel Oyegoke. The Brentford loanee looked to have handed City the lead, but Matt Ingram sprung across his line to save. 

Despite City impressing early on, it was the away side who opened proceedings halfway through the first half. Liam Delap’s pulled back cross was slotted home by Regan Slater from inside the area, to give the Tigers the lead.

For the remainder of the first half, both sides pushed for a goal. The East Yorkshire side came closest through a Jean-Michaël Seri free-kick, which flew a whisker over Harry Lewis’ bar.

To open the second half, the away side kept the ball well, almost adding to their lead through Ozan Tufan, who forced a smart save from City’s No.1 Harry Lewis.

The Tigers continued to pile more pressure on the Bantams' backline, as Delap saw his well-placed shot saved by the feet of Lewis, to keep the Tigers one to the good.

After the Bantams made a host of changes, the fresh legs brought more chances for the home side, as Bobby Pointon saw his effort fizz into the ground, before being saved by Ingram.

The Championship side came close to doubling their lead if not for more great goalkeeping from captain for the day Lewis. He rushed out to stop Delap from seeing his effort go anywhere, before emerging once again to put-off Tufan who saw his effort hit the side-netting.

Into the last ten minutes, the Bantams continued to go forward, almost drawing level thanks to some tricky play from Pointon down the left flank. He crossed into the six-yard box, but no-one in claret and amber was able to capitalise.

City came even closer just minutes later from a set-piece. Richie Smallwood’s corner was met by Derbyshire at the front post, who saw his glanced header effort go only inches wide of the post.

Hughes' men kept the pressure on until the very last minute, resulting in a late equaliser to show for their efforts. 

Smallwood swung a free-kick into the area in which Derbyshire’s headed effort forced the Tigers goalkeeper to spill the ball. Stubbs was in the right place at the right time, to tap home into a empty net and ensure the spoils were shared. 

CITY: Harry Lewis (C), Brad Halliday (Matty Platt 60’), Liam Ridehalgh (Alex Gilliead 60’), Ash Taylor (Sam Stubbs 45’), Jamie Walker (Clarke Odour 60’), Andy Cook (Matt Derbyshire 60’), Alex Pattison (Bobby Pointon 60’), Tyler Smith (Emmanuel Osadebe 45’), Ryan East (Richie Smallwood 60’), Ciarán Kelly (Timi Odusina 67’), Daniel Oyegoke (Luke Hendrie 77’). Subs (not used): Colin Doyle, Dylan Youmbi, Harvey Rowe.

GOALS: Stubbs (90’). 

HULL: Matt Ingram (Timothee Lo-Tutala 70’), Jacob Greaves (C) (Ruben Vinagre 70’), Alfie Jones (Sean McLoughlin 70’), Ozan Tufan (Adama Traore 70’), Allahyar Sayyadmanesh (Ryan Woods 70’), Harry Vaughn (Ryan Longman 70’), Liam Delap (Oscar Estupinan 70’), Brandon Fleming (Jason Lokilo 70’), Jean-Michael Seri (Tom Nixon 70’), Regan Slater (Andy Smith 70’), Cyrus Christie (Benjamin Tetteh 70’). Subs (not used): Alfie Taylor, Will Jarvis.

GOALS: Slater (22’). 

ATTENDANCE: 3,411 (502 Hull City supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact