Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 July 2023

Match Reports


26 July 2023

Mark Hughes' Bantams played out an entertaining 3-3 draw with Sky Bet Championship side Middlesbrough, in a thrilling game at the University of Bradford Stadium.

In a back and forth encounter, City twice fell behind but took a 3-2 lead after the hour mark thanks to Andy Cook's hat-trick, before Boro rescued a last-minute equaliser. 

The Bantams came flying out of the traps, pressing early and winning the ball back thanks to Cook, before Clarke Odour saw his chipped effort loop over the bar.

The visitors however, against the run of play, opened the scoring inside the first five minutes through Sam Silvera.

Isaiah Jones was played through in behind the Bantams defence, beating the offside trap and squaring the ball to Silvera, whose side-footed shot found the back of the net.

City came close to levelling proceedings a few minutes later through a Richie Smallwood free-kick.

The captain swung his set-piece into the box which was met by Sam Stubbs, who saw his headed effort saved by Glover, and cleared away by the visitors.

The home side did level matters with their very next attack. The away side were caught in possession inside their box by Alex Pattison, who played the ball into Cook’s feet. City's No.9 slotted home into an empty net to get the Bantams back on level terms.

The North Yorkshire side continued to use their counter attack to good effect, earning a penalty just before the half-hour minute mark. Alex Gilbert stepped up to take the spot-kick, slotting his penalty home and giving Boro the lead again.

City kept coming and, five minutes before the interval, were level once again through Cook. Clarke Oduor floated a teasing cross into the area where Cook rose to head the ball into the back of the net, levelling the score going into half-time.

Following the opening 45 minutes, the Bantams begun the second period pressing high in a similar fashion, but City scored their third of the night through another Smallwood set-piece.

City’s skipper curled his free-kick into the box, which was met by Cook who turned his header home for a hat-trick, giving his side a deserved lead. 

The home side continued to pressure Boro throughout the second half, and came inches away from adding a fourth goal. After some quick interplay between substitutes Bobby Pointon and Emmanuel Osadebe, Pointon played the ball wide to Brad Halliday. Osadebe was agonisingly close to connecting and putting City out of sight. 

The visitors offered little threat during the second half, but were able to level the score minutes before the final whistle through Daniel Nkrumah, who was played through in behind the City backline, poking the ball under Harry Lewis, to end the game all square.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Matty Platt (Luke Hendrie 60’), Richie Smallwood (C) (Emmanuel Osadebe 66’), Jamie Walker (Matt Derbyshire 66’), Andy Cook (Dylan Youmbi 66’), Alex Pattison (Ryan East 66’), Alex Gilliead (Brad Halliday 60’), Clarke Oduor (Bobby Pointon 66’), Sam Stubbs (Liam Ridehalgh 60’), Ciarán Kelly (Timi Odusina 45’), Daniel Oyegoke (Ash Taylor 60’). Subs (not used): Colin Doyle (GK), Heath Richardson (GK). 

GOALS: Cook (12’ 41’, 58’). 

MIDDLEBROUGH: Tom Glover (Jamie Jones 66’), Rav van den Berg, Martin Payero, Isaiah Jones, Matthew Hoppe (Daniel Nkrumah 66’), Alex Gilbert, Jack Hannah (Bryant Bilongo 82’), Paddy McNair, Sam Silvera, Jack Stott (Fin Cartwright 66’), Hayden Coulson. Subs (not used): Sam Collins, Nathan Simpson, Terrell Agyemang, Cain Sykes.

GOALS: Silvera (4’) Gilbert (29’) Nkrumah (90’).

ATTENDANCE: 4,378 (1,413 Middlesbrough supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact