Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


18 March 2023

Match Reports


18 March 2023

Mark Hughes' Bantams were held to a 2-2 draw by Hartlepool United this afternoon, in the early kick-off at the University of Bradford Stadium. 

The visitors took the lead twice during the encounter, with goals from Callum Cooke and Dan Kemp, but a double from Andy Cook, taking his tally for the season to 25, secured a point for City. 

The hosts started the game strong, almost opening the scoring through Dara Costelloe just after the first minute. Alex Gillead played the ball wide to Cook who whipped a crossed into the Irishman’s path, though he steered his shot just wide.

The Bantams kept up the pressure when Cook almost scored just before the 10th minute. Jamie Walker won possession just inside the Hartlepool half and played City’s No.9 through, but his effort was saved by the goalkeeper.

Through the first 30 minutes, Hughes’ side were on top, but it was Hartlepool who opened the scoring.

Callum Cooke was played the ball just inside the area by Connor Jennings, after neat work from Jamie Sterry, and powered his shot past City’s No.1 Harry Lewis to give the visitors the lead.

John Askey’s side almost doubled their advantage in the 42nd minute through Dan Kemp, if not for right-back Brad Halliday who made a vital block to keep the score 1-0. 

The Bantams came flying out of the traps in the second half, levelling the score in the 49th minute though top scorer Cook. Captain Richie Smallwood whipped a free-kick into the box where the striker powered his diving header into the back of the net.

The Bantams continued to pile the pressure on the visitors. Costelloe almost gave City the lead just after the hour mark, as Halliday crossed the ball to the back post where the on-loan striker sent his volley wide.

In the 71st minute, the visitors once again took the lead through Dan Kemp, after responding to a period of City pressure. Kemp found space in the box to beat two defenders and send a well-placed shot past Harry Lewis. 

City roared back only minutes later as Cook scored again to secure a point for the Bantams.

Substitute Scott Banks did well on the far side to beat his defender and swing a ball to the far post, where Cook rifled a first-time volley into the bottom corner. 

Coming into the closing stages of the game, City were dominating proceedings in their quest to find a late winner, though were unable to break the Hartlepool defence for a third time, with the clash ending a stalemate.

CITY: Harry Lewis, Brad Halliday (Ryan East 74’), Liam Ridehalgh (Tolaji Bola 90’), Matty Platt, Richie Smallwood (C), Andy Cook, Jamie Walker (Romoney Crichlow 90’), Alex Gillead, Dara Costelloe (Vadaine Oliver 90’), Sam Stubbs, Adam Clayton (Scott Banks 74’). Subs not used: Colin Doyle, Harry Chapman.

GOALS: Andy Cook (49', 77'). 

HARTLEPOOL: Jakub Stolarcyzk, Jamie Sterry, David Ferguson (C), Ewan Murray, Josh Umerah (Jack Hamilton 75’), Callum Cooke, Edon Pruti, Mohamad Sylia, Connor Jennings, Daniel Dodds, Dan Kemp. Subs not used: Ben Killip, Nicky Featherstone, Matt Dolan, Taylor Foran, Ollie Finney, Brendan Kiernan.

GOALS: Callum Cooke (33') Dan Kemp (71').

ATTENDANCE: 18,137 (1,045 Hartlepool supporters). 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Contact